What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disaster...

Ugh..today one of my flourecents wen't out and my fogger stopped for some odd reason...the Bical INSTANTLY started to look iffy and most of the leaves turned black....I stuck in a fish tank heater which was my reserve if this kind of thing happened but I think it is too late for my bical...All that is still living are two of the older leaves...that don't have any pitchers!...grrr...Dang Bical...How can a Bical be like that?!?! It must not be use to humidity changes AT ALL. It must of maybe dropped 7% in humidity..that's it..and the leaves still die. God only knows how this thing survives out in the wild....Sheesh...Anyways..the ultrasonic fogger was from exo-terra....I have no explanation to why it shut off..The little red light just doesn't turn on...ah..oh well...Should I prune off the dead leaves to the bical? If so...how far? Anyone have any methods?

Peoples bicals seem to be pretty soft, but mine seems quite tough. Humidity has been down to 40 with mine, and I haven't noticed any damage. Temps would have been below 80 though, so that could be an important factor. With neps like bicals, I think it would be good to harden it as much as you can. Do it slowly so the plant can more easily adjust to the harsher conditions. I think this could prevent cases like this, when soft plants experience little humidity drops and such. It may not grow at its fastest, but should grow satisfactory with enough time. I'm really sorry that happened to you
sad.gif
. Keep the poor thing in a plastic bag, so the humidity wont drop, and give it extra care. It might come back with time. Same thing happened to my new mindinaoensis, and I'm just waiting for the brown stem to oned day sprout some green
sad.gif

if that membrane on the fogger is worn out, it will not function anymore. it also could be that the water level went too low or the fuse whent out in the transformer that came withe the fogger. it got the same fogger too
biggrin.gif

another crazy explanation of mine. the bical may have went limp due to osmosis of water particles. since the tanks humidity was rapidly dropping and the amount of water stored in the plant, the water may have been sucked right out of the plant and released into the air.

heres another idea. the humidifyer whent too hot for your bical and it went limp and died. thats the most reasonable explanation i could give. hoped it helped
laugh.gif
. Zongyi

Sorry to hear that.

My bical has been through quite a bit, and it usually gets even with me for all the abuse i've given it.  However, it's never been instantaneous.  I'd venture to say that neps never do anything instantly (they're infamous for being slow to react), so my guess is that something has been wrong for a while and it just became obvious recently.

That said, cold weather can really blacken bical leaves quickly.  Did the temperature get low?

Generally with bical blackened leaves mean low humidity and hot dry air temps. Bicals will grow in cold temperatures just not as pretty or big, I am guessing it was a low humidity dip, regardless of the humdity reading plants are the hygrmeter themselves. Give it time and lots of humidity, treat with superthrive if you've got it.

I doubt it was a problem that I couldn't see..I had everything perfect...or at least perfect to what the thermometer and hygrometer were reading. The low humidity high temp thing seems about right..it's 80-90 degrees constantly in there and the water dries up pretty fast with the fan going....I'll put in a plastic bag in the terrarium when I get home..and trim the black dead leaves...*sigh*
sad.gif
Should I just cut Everything to the stem? I dunno......this fogger pisses me off....

anyone heard from cerius lately? this was his last post...
sad.gif

Back