What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes from garden centre

Hi, i'm not new here but i was a forum member ages ago back in 2001-2002 anyway i just recently saw some nepenthes in a garden centre and decided to get a hybrid and geez it is growing really well compared to the "normal" ones i used to have in 1999. Anyhow here is a pic of my new N.ventrata(N.alata x N. ventricosa) x N.alata. It seemed a good find here in australia seeming it is hard to find neps in nurserys here. I have had it for two weeks and it seems to be doing great, pitchering and everything. To the right you can see a small pitcher and just to the left of it in the back is a new forming pitcher which looks like a melon, it should open in about a week i guess. Anyway this hybrid doesn't seem to mind drier conditions-in fact when i brought it the soil was bone dry but i'm guessing the nursery i got it from didn't know how to keep it. I watered it and it has thrown up two pitchers so i guess all it needed was a bit of moisture. Tell me what you think, thanks.

Your picture does not display. It appears that it is linked to your hard drive. You will need to find a image hosting service or website to upload your image to. If you need some space for images, you will find some space hosted by Petflytrap.

http://home.petflytrap.com/communityindex.html

It may be hard to find neps in nurseries, but you have some outstanding places in Austrailia to get them from(Southern Carnivores, Exotica, ect).

Joe

Hey!

Welcome back! I gave a friend here in California a N. ventrata x alata. It's a really robust, easy-growing hybrid. She's growing it in a window in her living room in Oakland, CA, and it's doing great. It has very large pitchers for it's size with a nice red color. If I see another one of these around, I'll buy it.

Capslock

It is sooooo easy to grow!!!!!!!! And the pitches are really big and it's just sittin outside...i live in centeral QLD which is in the middle of no where and we don't have any humidity just dry heat. It is really deserty out here so yeah.I'm happy with the great growth with no hassle what so ever!!!!!!

Can u see this?

http://home.petflytrap.com/mexico1....003.jpg

Yep, I can see it. Some pretty large and nice looking pitchers you have there!

A healthy Nep!

SF

Looks great! Looks like a nice healthy ventrata or alata.

nice plant , i never see neps that big in hanging baskets fior sale at my nursery so i'm green with envy
biggrin.gif
, looks like a n. x ventrata to me .

That's no ventrata. Ventratas have wide peristomes remember.
rock.gif
It must be some kind of alata.
tounge.gif

it looks very alata-like, but if you notice the original post, he said it was a ventrata crossed with a alata, which would account for everyone's varying opinions. I thought it was an alata also, and had to reread the original post to get that information.

laugh.gif

Joe

I'm not saying that people should not buy the big ventrata -- they are robust beautiful plants and reasonably priced out of mass TC.

OTOH, those of us that got them before will be looking to unload a whole bunch of young TC plants for postage in the Spring. FYI. I can't throw the "babies" away. Nick will have even more. Others probably will also.

The bright side is, whatever I don't get rid of I'll just plant along the fence and see what happens.

The peristomes on my ventrata do look slightly different somehow. Eh, mine look "flared" on the sides slightly. That's the best I can do. I've posted pics of mine before.

Hi Beagle,
The ventrata that you and I have is the one originating from that large Belgian nursery. Here in Florida it is a weed. We sell tons of them at local plant shows on the weekends and we have repeat customers who have come back a year later to tell us about how it took over- 1. the patio, 2.the big tree I hang my orchids in, 3.the whole backyard.
Most of these customers (not all) live in West Palm Beach and are on municipal water. Interesting note-West Palm does not use well water for the city supply, but huge collecting ponds out west part of the county. It is the most mineral free water in south Florida and Neps love it! Here in Boca Raton our city water is liquid limestone.
The Australian cross pictured above is a hybrid where the ventrata was crossed back onto an alata, which explains the near dead ringer for an alata- its three fours alata. Also, the Australian cross did not use the same ventrata clone. The tc clone we have is a female, but alas, she is sterile.

Trent

Back