What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps "Gublers hybrids"

While buying the sundew and the VFT, I've come across a couple of these plants. Their seem to be more thna one variety in the mix. Some just have green pitchers with very faint striations. Other are a light creamy brown color with numberous red "paintbrush strokes" of red on them. I remember faintly seeing one with red pitchers and a red cap, but Im not to sure on that.

Has anyone grown these to full size? How big do they get? Pitchers?

Also, do pitchers get more colorful as the plant grows larger?

Hey,
    Im pretty sure a ton of people have had experience with the Lowes, or Home Depot neps. You most likely have the N. ventricosa or N. x ventrata (ventricosa x alata) variety. They are a highland plants that like it humid (above 60%). Temperature wise, high eighties during the day, and low seventies to high sixties at night, with a raise in humidity at night. These variety get up to 6 inches with pitchers, that will have a splendid tubby shape to them , they stay red with a scalloped peristrome, or the opening to the pitcher. N. ventricosa will reach around 3 feet tall, on the stem, but in a long time (years!). Plenty of light and you will have a wonderful plant. Hope it helps,
                  Kevin

Hmm, which one of the described are you talking about in that post?

Hey,
Both of them really. The N. x ventrata is more slimmer and gets a bit larger. But they are both very similiar.
Kevin

Think there is also a N. maxima hybrid they sell...

Check out the Identify That Plant forum and there should be old threads on Nepenthes from Gublers carried by Homedepot and Lowes

If you'd like to see some nepenthes pics and get some information on them, check out "Nepenthes University". I don't have the exact URL but if you do a search for that you should find it. I'm sure they have ventricosa and ventrata photos. And lots of other beauties.
smile.gif

nep pic

the first pic that shows on my comp of these looks like the "paint brushed" one, possibly excluding the patterned cap.

BTw, what are wings, peristome etc.

I can only guess that wings are the 2 frilly strips that run down the front of the nep and that peristrome is what the undeducated would call the lip?

fac80fd0.jpg

Heres a pic of an unopened pitcher of the first one I described. This one has since opened if you need a pic of it opened for ID(if the thing has one!). LOl, now you guys know that I got a nep in the house too! Just havent talked about it much. Im in big trouble now!
wink.gif

Sometimes its difficult to ID a plant from a pic of a juvenile pitcher like that. Many look pretty similar at that stage. Older pitchers are easier to ID. Also it helps if you have a pic of the whole plant because the leaves can help ID a plant too.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Nflytrap,

You are correct, the wings are the two strips running down the front of the pitcher, and the peristome is just a funky name for the "lip".

SF

Nflytrap,

Check out these two images for a good explanation of Nepenthes bits and bobbles.

Image one
Image two

Back