What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The gubler nep....

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
If someone knows whats wrong with the 2nd and 3rd pics, let me know....all I did was use a different host.

fac81006.jpg

The nep itself.

nep.jpg

The pitcher opened(hmm..what has the computer been up to this time...Im sure it wasnt that blurry when I took it!)

nep1.jpg

Another pic of a pitcher.

nice did you just get that
if you did it will get some good color soon
mine did
laugh.gif

Its been around for 2 weeks now. The pitcher in both pictures was half done when I bought the plant.

give it a while and some light for some nice coloration

the 2 last pics may need some resizing . otherwise thats a very nice plant , its weird because gublers neps are starting to get more common but i just can't grow these lil guys succesfully and i'm still waiting for a pitchers afetr a couple moths considering that my toerh neps otehr then gublers are doing well .

It almost looks like a N. X Judith Finn to me... See if the peristome turns red in a couple of weeks.

SF

Im not to sure if its apparent in the picture but hers a description of that pitcher and a newer one which should open soon. The plant seems to be slowing down, maybe because of the temps and light in the house now.

The pitcher is very light green as shown in the first photo of the plant, with the veins slightly darker. The picture that came with it(gubler cup, I cannot imagine how it fitted in their, or remember how I got it out!)  showed a plant with very short tendrils and yellow pitchers with bright red veins....but thats the picture anyway so it might not be the same plant! You can see on that pitcher that a part of the wing is missing.

Now, on the second pitcher, very little of the wing is left, just a black line where it was "supposed" to be. I went to the ICp's homepage and viewed a young Bicac seedling they had pictured....with very large wings. Also, i've viewed all you board memebers awesome pics, and lots of the neps have just 2 lines where the wings would be....like they wer stitched together or something like that. Does this mean that as plants get older, some of them loose this feature?

Looks like n.sanguinea to me. I have one, and the way the stem and leaves grow it's similar. I'm no expert, anyone else want to chime in?

Nobody else has any ideas?

Perhaps this should be moved to ID forum...

Hard to say but it looks like it has N. maxima influence in it to me. It could very well be one of gubler's infamous N. x gentle plants. So far, most of their plants have tunred out to be N. x gentle.

Oh yeah, one of gublers two maxima hybrids. One, I know is N. x mixta, and is a real beaut. The one you have, I am unsure of it's parantage, but it looks similar. The leaves will develop very little red in them, and the pitchers stay mainly green with some red streaks. The peristome colors up eventualy as well. You should go back to the store you got it from, and try to find the N. x mixta
biggrin.gif
!

Well, what does it look like when its small...distinguishing features? Not to sure what you mean by red streaks, but the photo that came with it showed an almost yellow pitcher with red veins running down it.

Is that what you are talking about?

Well, as far as coloration for nepenthes and sarracenia go, only sarracenia have coloration in the form of vaination (the color in the pitchers is formed by a network of vein like streams). But, in Nepenthes, coloration is in spots/streaks, orrepresented by individual cells, and with no particular pattern. A spooted nepenthes-
sp6.jpg

a sarracenia with veins-
S%20flava%20Var%20cupurea,F69,Veined%20throat%20patch.jpg

See how the sarracenia has red on it, and kind of looks like veins? Hope that clears it up.

Yes it is hard to say Gublers last time i called them was shipping Nepenthes Alata and Maxima but if i had to say what it looks like i would say Maxima
smile.gif
most of the time from them it is they aslo are sealing larg plants i order some a moth ago or so pretty nice looking cuttings they were aorund 12 $

Yup, but thats exactly how the picture looked, only less dense.

That doesn't mean the veins won't be slightly darker then, does it? At least that how mine looks in person.

This one was $4.57
I saw one that had large spots(and the pitcher was almost as big as the wee thing, and it wasnt even open!) but I skipped it.

Everyone seems pretty lost. Anything I can do, like get more photos? Notice how the pitcher is missing a chunk of the wing. This second pitcher is missing almost all of it except the very top of one side and the very bottom of the other. It isn't completely open yet, though.

Maybe Gublers neps should just be Nepenthes x 'Gubler'

The reason everybody seems lost is that it is almost impossible to tell what the plant is at this early stage. You have to wait to get more mature pitchers before making even a semi-accurate ID. All people can do now is make educated guesses, based on experience and previous purchases.

SF

Thanks SnowyFalcon!

Now for the wait..........
laugh.gif

Hi Nflytrap

I'd like to ask you (and everybody!) to please resize your photographs before posting. I am on a 21" monitor with a high speed connection and not only did I have to scroll around to see your photos but it took a couple of minutes for the images to download. There are MANY people here that still have dial-up and don't have large monitors and that can be agonizing!

I downloaded your files to check them out. Your image resolution is WAAAY to high for the internet. It is a 300dpi file.
wow.gif
It should be only 72dpi. Your pixel width was 1600. This makes your image over 20" in physical length. This is MUCH too big!

If you are using a digital camera and you are taking photos for the internet, you should set your camera's resolution to 72dpi and the lowest pixel setting. Your files were approximately 5.5MB! If you have any kind of image editing program that comes with digicams, you can resize photos using that.
smile.gif

Everybody loves to see photos but it makes it much harder to see them when you can only see portions at a time.

It would be greatly appreciated if you (and everyone) could scale 'em down a bit.
smile.gif

Thanks!
Suzanne

Hi!

As a point of clarrification, the dpi (dots per inch) of a photo is not relevant to posting them on a computer monitor. Whatever the setting, it will display at whatever dpi your monitor is set at. a 640x480 pixels picture will display the same no mater what the dpi setting is.

The ONLY think that counts is the total pixels (tall and wide) that the picture is. When I post a pic here, I usually size it to a maximum of 640 x 480, and save it as a .jpg file.

Aslo, you can usually set the amount of compression, as .jpg is a vairably compressed format. You can really save a lot by compressing, but the quality degrades the more it is compressed. Some software might not give you this option, however.

Now, on to the topic at hand. I have a several-months old N. x gubbler. It is a FREAKISH GENETIC MUTANT!!!!
wow.gif
I've had several pitchers develop with no lids whatsoever, and I have what looks like a siamese twin growth point. Tonight I'll post a photo. I'm still not sure what kind of hybrid or species it is, but check out the photo later on and let me know what you think.

Caplsock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]FREAKISH GENETIC MUTANT!!!

Shhhh!!! Be careful you don't say that too loud! Your plants might get angry!

SF
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Back