What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More pictures

BTW, thanks again for letting me visit! I am still much in awe of your Nepenthes and Sarracenia!

SF
wink.gif

You're always welcome to come over and look around. Just call ahead of time to make sure we're home. Tomorrow(Saturday) we're selling at the Flowering Tree and Tropical Plant Sale in Boca Raton, "under the banyan trees" next to the tennis courts behind the Chamber of Commerce on the north side of Palmetto Park Rd in the center of town. Stop by if you have the chance, just to say hello. We'll mostly have the bread and butter stuff, but might bring some different things, like some echinostomas, ampullarias, and those Sibuyan lowland alatas. Still, come by the greenhouse sometime and just look around-that's how you develop an eye for IDing different species and hybrids.
Trent

Thanks for the invite. I might just take you up on that come spring, when I'm not so busy and things are growing like crazy again.

I don't think I can make it to the Flowering Tree and Tropical Plant Sale, because we'll be packing to go on vacation, and my grandma is coming down from Melbourne, Florida too. I'll ask anyway, and see if it is possible.

SF

Trent,

You don't happen to know if you will be the only CP grower there or if there will be others?

SF

There's no one in my village that understands me, and Tony down in his town, no one understands him, and the same with Tamlin. God help us! lol. I was thinking of installing an underbench misting system to just mist the ground, but I didn't worry about that, so I just installed it on the rafters, this way everything gets wet and it evaporates quite quickly due to the monitor blowing heated dry air around so the plants aren't continually wet. Florida must be the place for heat lovers tho.
wink.gif
Mind if I book a flight to come visit? haha.

You are totally welcome! Just make sure you bring some of your rarer specimens for us to eyeball!

SF

Just give a call to make sure we're home!
biggrin.gif

SF, we are the only vendor with CP at the Boca sale.
Dustin, we find wetting down the floor an effective way to lower temps and raise humidity without consuming precious RO water. Whenever we wet down floors, you can watch the gauge change.

Trent

Hmmm....interesting.....I might have to do a switcheroo...or just buy a seperate pump which is no big deal. I could run another line off of the main mist line under the benches. My humidity is quite high tho, about 65% of the mist reaches the greenhouse gravel floor. The whole middle 'aisle' of the ghouse is always usually wet. Humidity hasn't dropped below 65% for a long while due to my fix on the cycler, now it mists every 7 minutes for 20 seconds, which maintains quite a bit humidity. What I can also do is run a pump and line (not fancy like my setup now) and use plain old tap water like you have to wet it down on the same timed cycle. What I like about my current overhead system however is the fact that it waters the plants automatically and gradually.

Trent,

I don't think I can make it tomorrow, which really stinks.  My Grandmother will be coming in the early afternoon and we'll be busy packing all morning.  Plus, if I went, I'd be tempted to buy plants that I KNOW I don't have room to grow.  I want to make it through dormancy before expanding my collection anymore.

SF

Edit: Thanks for informing me about the show though. You are my only source of information about CPs at these things!
wink.gif

Two more.
smile.gif

Newest pitcher on N. glabrata:

glab1.JPG

Whole plant:
glab2.JPG

Very nice! Nep g, you better have a security system on your greenhouse.
wink.gif

I posted some pictures, too.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/macfarlanei

I'm trying to figure out if the plant is macfarlanei or spectabils.. The first picture is of a different plant than all of the following ones..

Hi all, yes the N. glabrata really surprized me! Once I took the shade cloth off the stem doubled in thickness and the leaf sized dramatically increased. You can kind of see what I mean on the 2nd photo.

Pat,
security system? Ha! The plants are in charge of that.
wink.gif
If someone besides me walks in they lunge out and nab them! lol. My only form of security though is a lock and hasp on the door, the lock isn't locked but it does do a wonderful job of keeping my door tight to seal up the ghouse from heat loss which is more important to me than plant thieves. Besides, they have to get past the mimosa's first which are getting prickly and one is leaning towards the door way, it's already caught my arm and ripping some gashes in it a few times.
smile.gif
BTW< nice organization of the photo's on the website!

Oh.. I can speak first hand for the toughness of Mimosa... If Mimosa is the weed-like variety of the sensitive plants (not the bush-like variety), then it used be all over the soccer fields when I used to play. That stuff is mean!

Thanks for the kind comments (always from this forum) on the plants. I just hope spring hurrys up!
smile.gif

Back