What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're now selling HUGE nepenthes

Hey All

Here's our newest offering... showing up on our site Monday

nep3.jpg

nep2.jpg

nep1.jpg

I expect the prices to be between 29-35 dollars. 6-8" hanging baskets with pitchers 4-6" in size.

We're not sure of the exact plants... but we'll have some Alata, some Maxima some nepenthes coccinea.

If you're interested, they'll be posted on the front page of the site monday.

We'll have 30 total as a test run. Will be offering about 1000 by January.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Phil

I want the second and third one, as long as they aren't hybrids.
smile.gif

And YAY!!! You're my hero Phil! (Tamlin, you're also still my hero)

And fyi, by "want" I mean that I am considering flying to Texas to make sure my money order gets there in time.
smile.gif

Those are hybrids from holland. The second one is N x Gentle, the third one is N x mixta. Those ones cost approx. 15 Euro in europe... Those nurseries do not label the plants correctly!!!!!

All are easy and can be grown on windowsills!

Jan

Darnit, just when the weather gets cold
rock.gif

Those are some great looking Nepenthes. I do sometimes wish I was in one of the warmer parts of the US. But, I guess I couldn't build a snowman.

You don't happen to let someone buy a plant and hold it for them until the weather improves? Heck, I guess I could wait until warmer weather is here again. Right now its 50°F, but we have been down in the 20's for a few day as well.

Thats it! You guys best be able to ship plants to Canada by the time the weather gets warm next spring!

Dont make me come down there!

André

Actually, the third one is not Mixta, but N. 'Miranda'. It is cross of N. maxima x N. Mixta, and is very similar to the Japanese cross of the same parentage, N. 'Oiso'. That big European tc supplier has the bad habit of naming the plant the same as the seed-bearer (female) used in making the seed from which protocorms are derived.
All three are very vigorous and prolific pitcher producers.

Trent

Nice I might even consider, especially if they do well on a window sill. But, like Nik I'd have to wait for warm weather.

They are beautiful plants and real attention getters. And they are big. The N. Miranda can get huge leaves easily two and a half feet long. The 'hybrid vigor' makes them really good growers and prolific pitcher producers.
I know a lot of Nepenthephiles only want species, but a fine hybrid can be extremely rewarding and horticulturally beautiful. Personally, I would like to see more hybridizing with highland crossed to lowland species. The resultant offspring of these types of crosses are very adaptive to different environments. With a bit of forethought and lots of luck, imagine crosses of rafflesiana onto burbidgea or carunculata robusta. How about a red ampullaria onto gymnamphora. All it takes is the right male and female blooming at the same time-not the easiest condition to meet.
Any of you folks interested in these matters, contact me personally. Maybe we can revive the Nepenthes Dating Service.

Trent

Hey Guys,

You're right on the naming of the plants and the origin.

Our prices are going to reflect the inbound freight costs we have from the greenhouses in Holland... and permits, etc.

So here in the US, through us.... we're shooting for a mid price of 30.00.

Depending on pot size.

Yup. I'll be getting one of these.

Capslock

Maybe two.

Hey Phil,
THose are AWESOME plants, could we please get some info on the current conditions that these plants are in? I would like to adapt one to my windowsill if at all possible. THANKS A MILLION!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

I have the third one (N. Miranda possibly). It is a fast grow monster with pitchers a foot tall and leaves two feet long. The vine is well over a foot tall now and show no sign of flowering yet, just continous monster growth. Absolutely beautiful plant, hybrid or not, I love it.

Joe

Miranda (N x Mixta, ?) grows LARGE. The pitchers get about a foot long. People that don't know what neps are always comment on the Miranda pitchers. I've got a couple in 16" hanging baskets on the porch. Mine looked a bit overwhelmed by the sun when I got them, red went to brown in some cases. Since the mid-Summer: boom! The largest, king-of-all pitchers just opened. It's right at a foot, not counting the lid. Coccinea grows like a weed also. The leaves and pitchers are not quite as difficult to house as the Miranda.

Hi,

MMMMMMMMMM. I am so tempted. This are all lowlanders, right?

Bobby

Lowlander? This thing could survive ON the sun. My greenhouse gets close to 100degrees in the summer and this thing loves it, only three feet from the kwatt MH if that. Plenty of humidity of course.

joe

How able are they to tolerate "intermediate" temperatures? Specifically warm to hot days (depending if the sun wants to shine) 70-85F and nights at 50F All the other lowlanders like merrilliana and mirabilis are doing ok.

Hi Dustin,
Ours are subjected to those kinds of temps in winter. You will get more of a bronzy red coloration to the leaves and the pitchers will have more of an orange base color. 'Miranda' is three fourths maxima, one fourth northiana, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Trent

Excellent! I thought they would be pretty tolerant but wasn't too sure.
biggrin.gif

One thing I've noticed is that some of the top burned leaves on the Miranda would grow larger to protect the underneath leaves. The burned leaves often would grow large pitchers despite the damage. It seems pretty sun tolerant even if slightly injured.

I would not leave any nep out in the open in Florida. Afternoon protection is a must. You can FRY a sensitive nep in Florida pretty quickly from Mar -- Oct. They adjust well to more light, if it's not too much, and you don't kill them before they adjust.

Back