What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep sale for forum members only

Hi All,

As promised, we have about 20 HUGE nepenthes available for pretty good prices for our forum members.

This is a private sale lasting through the weekend.

Only readers / members of the forums get the link first.

These plants ship with HUGE pitchers on them. LOTS of them

http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/category/!privatesale/

Thanks,
Phillip

OOOOHHH Man, I wish I had the money right now!  
laugh.gif
I know that everybody says that N. alata is SUPER adaptable, but I was wondering if a semi-at sometimes mostly shaded North facing windowsill would be OK? Remember, I am in the far south US... I would like to order one of these guys soon! Do the normal shipping prices apply? I would be able to mist it most of the time, and it would get some of the light coming off of the growchamber... THANKS A MILLION PHIL, I NEED ONE!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

unclesam.gif
 *slap* You don't need more neps* Yes I do!!  
smile.gif

Thanks Phil! One Miranda, on the way! Where to put it? We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Capslock

I just ordered 2 for the greenhouse earlier this evening.
smile.gif

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ Nov. 14 2003,1:56)]OOOOHHH Man, I wish I had the money right now!  
laugh.gif
I know that everybody says that N. alata is SUPER adaptable, but I was wondering if a semi-at sometimes mostly shaded North facing windowsill would be OK? Remember, I am in the far south US... I would like to order one of these guys soon! Do the normal shipping prices apply? I would be able to mist it most of the time, and it would get some of the light coming off of the growchamber... THANKS A MILLION PHIL, I NEED ONE!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

unclesam.gif
 *slap* You don't need more neps* Yes I do!!  
smile.gif
Hi
Yes they are nice plants
smile.gif

The "Alata" by the way is actually a N. ventrata, which is mis-named by the Dutch Nursery. Its a robust and attractive highland hybrid.

cheers

bill

Please stop selling those plants as "N. alata", they are clearly "N. alata x ventricosa" !!!

Jan

Argh! I missed the N. mirada
sad.gif

We sell them as they are marked from the propagation lab. If there is a mix in the plant, we've not been told....

Some people here told it some time again: The dutch mass-marketed nurseries call the plants after the female plant. All of your "N. alatas" are "N. alata x ventricosa". You can see that, watch the pitcher form. Because of this mess in Europe many many people think they have alatas and tobaicas and so on, but instead of that they are growing hybrids! So please mark them correctly.

Jan

Yes that is N. x ventrata. Still a nice plant and very easy to grow, super for beginning Nepenthes enthusiasts.

Indeed they are nice. OK, my question is whether or not a N. alata x ventricosa is a N. x ventrata the same way a N. ventricosa x alata is. If the parents are reversed, is it still a "ventrata"? This has me confused because I ran accross some neps a while back where some were labeled as N. x ventrata, and some were N. alata x ventricosa.

Capslock

That means the same thing. Generally the female or stigmatic parent is first in the cross and the male or stamatic parent is the second name in the cross. So N. alata x ventricosa mean N. alata was the girl and ventricosa was the boy. N. ventricosa x alata means a gender change. But yes, either cross will give you N. x ventrata.

OK, so if you have a N. x ventrata, you don't know for sure if the female parent was ventricosa or alata. Interesting. I thought it was wierd that my plant was labeled as alata x ventricosa (I bought it because it was five bucks for a four-foot vine. I made a slew of cuttings from it that I will be giving away.) Thanks for the info. That one had been bugging me for a while.

Capslock

ohh man, I missed the miranda!
sad.gif
Well, I'll get a coccinea then
smile.gif

I want the cocciena really bad...but I could only put it on a east facing windowsill. I have sangiuene and ventra growing there. not high humidity but I would mist it often. Will it be able to pitcher? Please respond soon!
smile.gif

Capslock, read my post above yours. The female comes first in the cross. N. alata x ventricosa can be read as girl x boy. But yes if only the hybird name is given you cannot tell for sure.

Dustin summed it up well. On Nepenthes hybrids always figure the cross is labelled girl x boy. The seed bearing plant should be listed first when naming the cross. When using a common name, like N. ventrata, you really don't know if the alata is the seedbearer (as it was in the Dutch hybrid), or the ventricosa. There can be subtle variations in crosses because of the reciprical possibilities. there would also be variation depending on which clones were used as well. There's a lot of variation amongst alatas and ventricosas!
By the way, the Dutch 'ventrata' is female. We've bloomed it down here and have tried to make crosses with her, but after repeated tries with different males, she has yet to produce viable seed. She's sterile!

Trent

i have a question sorta related to this post.... some of you may remember my post when i first came to these forums about a Nepenthes i have but dont know which species/hybrid. anyways it had a tag saying Miranda on it but i was unable to locate any info on the web about it so i thought it was a "greenhouse" goof now i see some for sale on my email. where would i find info on these? btw now that it is in the 75 gal tank it is starting to pitcher and its leaves are turning a reddish color(i read this is a good thing)

Sheridan S

What would you like to know about N. 'Miranda'?
Maybe I can help. It is not officially registered as a cultivar, but so many good Nepenthes hybrids aren't. The exact parentage is not known for sure, but it is definitely a hybrid with N. Mixta. The TC supplier calls it N. maxima miranda, which implies its a maxima. It is not pure maxima. Most likely it is a hybrid of N. maxima x N. Mixta, as the TC supplier erroneously names the plant after the seed bearing parent. N. 'Miranda' also looks very much like a Japanese hybrid called N. 'Oiso', which is also the cross of N. maxima x N. Mixta.
N. Mixta is an old Victorian hybrid made at the turn of the century(19th into 20th) and is N. northiana x N. maxima. There are supposedly a few clones of it, maybe only two are still around. One is N. Mixta 'Superba", a male, and is frequntly seen in collections, and N. Mixta 'Sanguinea', a female, which may be extinct.
If anyone reading this has knowledge of the true N. Mixta 'Sanguinea' still being grown, please contact me.

Trent

i dont know i guess at this point the main question is what Nep has similar care to it? it seems to be doing great in the set up i have at the moment which is a lowland type. warm(85-90) and humid during the day slightly cooler(68-75) at night. the 2 ventricosa(Lowes plants) i have in the same tank are growing a lot more rapidly than i thought they would. second question.....will it go into shock if i split up the 2 seperate plants that are in the pot? right now it is seriously crowding the sides of the tank but would have much more room if i was able to but them in 2 seperate pots.

Sheridan S.

Back