What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jacquelineae

Jeremiah,

You should be flattered that your nepenthes are so spectacular people think they're fake!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Yeah Capslock you probably right

Jan Sorry if I sounded a little rude in what I said

I have not been having the greatest of days

-Jeremiah-

I've had neighbors say that so and so plant had to be fake, so I tell them to come back 2 weeks later.... Their response? How did that move? Moral it is a real plant! lol
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of these mega-wonderful pictures everyone!!
smile.gif
Jeremiah, my plant is coming from the same stock, so hopefully it will be that AWESOME in my high-light conditions! There is, however, that variation in seed-grown plants... Either way, I can't wait!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jeremiah @ Nov. 19 2003,10:08)]Jan Sorry if I sounded a little rude in what I said

I have not been having the greatest of days

-Jeremiah-
Hi Jeremiah,

no problem, it was my mistake!
.....it looked so luminous red that i thought - it can´t be true... ;-)

Jan

Thanks Tony for posting the data. I sometimes don't get the chance to check out the forum as often as I'd like.

The coloration on both Jeremiah's and Tony's plants are amazing. They weren't that color when I shipped them, which is a tribute to how well they are being grown. It also means that smaller specimens may still color up spectacularly a few pitchers further down the line.

Unfortunately, both N. jacquelineae and N. izumiae have presented problems in sterile culture. It's not often that seed grown plants in the nursery grow better than plants in the lab but in this case that's what happened. I can't speak for other suppliers but in our case the next release will be next year, but I can't exactly say when. We've tweaked the media in the lab and overcome the problems of slow growth rate at last, but it still takes some time to multiply up.

I do wish that some of the more spectacular species such as these weren't so expensive. Pricing them so highly isn't a skimming tactic but reflects the large costs of getting the plant into cultivation and the speed and costs of production which vary dramitically from species to species. Prices will come down of course and one day you should even be able to choose specific colorations when you purchase (I hope! knowing my luck all 60 clones in the lab will be green
biggrin.gif
). In the meantime, what Tony says is true about the exclusivity of the seed-grown plants. Look after them and be proud, they look fabulous!

Rob,
If it's no trade secret, might I ask when the seeds for this first release were sown? Were they sown in batches or was the whole first batch (which we lucky few have) done at one time? I'm just trying to get an estimate of how old our plants are (roughly) right now.

UPDATE!!:
I got my little jewel two days ago, and I really love it!! It's pitcher coloration is a mix of about 60% Jeremiah's plant/40% swords' plant. I see real potential for really nice coloration in the developing pitchers!!
smile.gif
Rob, I would also like to know about what swords asked if at all possible. THANKS FOR THE PICS EVERYONE!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

Lithopsman

Swords, sorry for the delayed response.

I can't say exactly when the seeds were sown for fairly obvious reasons, but they were sown sometime in the first half of 2002.

All the N. jacquelineae we have released so far were from nursery grown seed taken from a single seed head. Some of them have turned out to be hybrids with N. izumiae which may turn out to be a unique event in cultivation. I believe the hybrid has been observed in the wild but only once and is undoubtedly not common.

Thanks Rob!

I will simply consider my plant "2 years old" in January 04. I just like to keep close records on my plants and this is the first plant in my collection I know is grown from seed since it's not available any other way yet.

Also I was curious if you noticed any range of mutation with this hybrid? Are the plants either clearly hybrid or clearly true N. jacquelineae or are there some "ify" ones such as the N. clipeata x eymae x clipeata from the German BG a while back?

When the plant reaches about 2-3" in diameter, or even smaller if well grown, it has always been quite clear if it's true or a hybrid. There have been no variations to my knowledge that have made the hybrids appear even close to the true N. jacquelineae. The N. jacquelineae pitcher is just so distinctive even when juvenile, as photos posted on this forum have shown.

We have some N. jacquelineae x izumiae hybrids that are about 6" across now and they show a lot of promise to be spectacular and very colorful. I think that some natural hybrids are great and embody some of the best characteristics of the parents. N. x hookeriana and N. x trusmadiensis to name but two. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and not everyone would agree, I guess.

The N. clipeata x (eymae x clipeata) debate went on for a while, mainly because the plants had to be fairly mature before we could see that Andreas was right all along.

Anyone for a debate on true N. burkei?
biggrin.gif

Hard to say for certain just yet on your plant Josh. Maybe in the next couple pitchers it will mature a bit more to tell one way or the other.
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Nov. 24 2003,3:20)]The N. clipeata x (eymae x clipeata) debate went on for a while, mainly because the plants had to be fairly mature before we could see that Andreas was right all along.

Anyone for a debate on true N. burkei?  
biggrin.gif
Regardless on the cross, it's a woinderful plant! It was a must have for my greenhouse when I first saw it at Tony's!
smile.gif

As for N. burkei debate......NO.
wink.gif

Rob,
Thanks for the information regarding generally how old the plants are!
smile.gif
This will help me keep records of how fast these plants mature... Ciao!
unclesam.gif

Lithopsman

As in N. burkei vs N. ventricosa? I don't know anything much about this but as always would like to read any debate on it!

Congratulations Jeremiah. it is a beautiful plant. Now all these pictures make me want to get one for myself a.s.a.p. Even if i have to go to a TROPICAL place such as MALAYSIA, or an EXOTIC place such as BORNEO, well i'll get one........

Unfortunately, NEPENTHES NURSERIES don't export to Australia.

P.s. encrypted message.

Gus

Back