What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelii or N. mirabilis

Hi All,

I met a person online from Laos who is selling seed from Nepenthes plants on his own private land. He advertised them as N. thorelii, and sent me this pic, but it kind of looks like N. mirabilis. Both species are found in Indochina. What do you think?

Joe

http://www.geocities.com/nattyx_9

My guess is also mirabilis. As far as I can tell, N thorelii has pitchers that are darker red.

Jœl

Hi Joe,
It's definitely mirabilis. Both pitcher and leaf morphology are mirabilis. Even the habitat is mirabilis (edge of a swamp).

Trent

Well, that was what I thought even before I checked the CP Database for locations. Not so sure about pic # 2, but # 1 looks like a greenish upper, similar to the the 'smilesii' variant.

Thanks,

Joe

He updated the pics on the site, and there are some ground rosettes now, but I am still thinking mirabilis.

Joe

I checked those out. Absolutely. The peristome is so typical of mirabilis and not at all like thorelii.

Trent

Picture 7 is a nice shot of the fimbriate leaf margins.
Tony

Was he the same person also selling 500 N.thorelii seeds for $10.00 ?

Seedling,
Yes, this is the same guy. As you can see, they don't appear to be thorelii.
These are supposedly from his private land and he will not harvest them until you order, so they are fresh.

Regards,

Joe

What I meant to say, is these are the plants from which that seed is coming from. I asked to see a pic of the parent plants(which he offered), so there is no N. thorelii seed; just mirabilis.

Regards,

Joe

I'd get the seeds if it I wouldn't have to pay twice the price for import duties
sad.gif
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

For seed you shouldn't need to pay import(unless it was N. rajah or N. khasiana, which are both CITES I-all the others are CITES II). However, for my bank to do a transfer, it's $25.

Regards,

Joe

Saw the pics. Looks like N. mirabilis. I have some pics of the N. thorelli type I picked up from Thailand and I'll try and get the updates on imira.com under the album title nepenthes.
Truly,
Tom

Thanks Tom. You are probably the most qualified in this hemisphere to make that call, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Back