What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotted Nepenthes northiana

I repotted my N. northaina tonight and noticed that the roots had growth latterally instead of vertically. I'm supposing this is due to being potted in pure LFS the top half which had become living and where the roots seemed to prefer. I have changed the potting medium to about 60% chopped sphagnum moss and 30% medium orchid bark and 10% charcoal to give it a more open freer draining mix as well I have put it in a 25 cm net pot so the soil may aerate faster.

Anyone else have any findings when they repotted their N. northiana? Neps, I know you were talking about repotting your N. northiana some while ago.

Swords,
I can't speak from experience, but I do know that Neps had an article in the CPN about N. northiana cultivation and repotting... I believe that it was in the March issue, but I can't be 100% sure. Maybe I will check a little later and find out... It does seem, however, that typically, almost all Nepenthes prefer growing roots laterally, but I can't be sure that it is from the sphagnum. That is an interesting concept, though, and it would be interesting to do an experiment on it... GOOD LUCK!!
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

Hi,

I've found that N. northiana tends to produce thick, white roots in well-drained media. Once well-established, and in a warm, humid, and stable environment, it can really take off. Be sure that it's not over illuminated, however. This species loves shade. If you have more questions, please ask, or see if you can find a copy of my article. Good growing!

My N. northiana has done very well, pitchering on every leaf with nice colorful pitchers but it was a shock to see the roots growing latterally. There were no thick white roots, only the "normal" hair thin dark colored Nep roots.

About the "thick white roots" you observed, are they more like orchid roots?

If you have a link to your article I will gladly take a peek.

When I say thick white roots, I mean thick for Nepenthes, not like an orchid. You will find that as Neps get bigger, their roots
typically increase in diameter, and they become brown, tan, or white, in color. The color may have actually been more of a brown, rather than white or tan, now that I think about it. To tell you the truth, it's been a while and I don't remember clearly.

Unfortunately, there is no online link to my article. You can see it in the June 2003 issue of the CPN, however.

Back