What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dissected Nepenthes eustachya

I haven't played with the microscope in a while. I wish it had a higher resolution and better under slide light but I'll have to sell a bunch of plants to afford the more professional digital scope models. anyway, here we go...

Nepenthes eustachya in cross section simply scanned on my flatbed (this image shown here is low res cos the pitcher is nearly 20 cm in height and I had to reduce it a good deal for the web).
eustachyadissected.jpg

microscope views:

20x view of nectar gland on underside of lid
eustlidglands.jpg

20x view of digestive glands in digestive zone
eustdigglan20.jpg

100x view of digestive gland note the light reflecting the indented nature of the digestive cell clusters.
eustdigglan100.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good view of the waxy plates from the upper waxy zone. Not from either of the WZ tissue samples I made for the microscope slides, nor from the split half.  
sad.gif

Hopefully someone found this interesting anyway!

Great photos, thanks for posting them. Can you tell me more about your microscope setup?

It's a Motic DS 300 digital microscope (it can capture video). It's magnification ranges from 20x, 40x, 60x, 80x, 100x (good for looking at structures but not down to cellular level). It's alright but it's got a very low resolution (captures images in 75 dpi) and the images would be better if the stage lighting was brighter. I have to use a CF bulb right over the stage to get the images as bright and clear as they are.

I guess it's true what they say, you get what you pay for but even this was quite expensive for my salary. The more professional models would probably be more enjoyable to use by having higher resolution and brighter lighting. Some models have an "infinity" view allowing you to choose any setting between 1x and 900x. But those are as much as a new PC!  
wink.gif

Awesome man!
laugh.gif
Thats something I've always wanted to see! The microworld is soo cool! Still, I'm still curious of how the waxy cell look like...
biggrin.gif

Basically the waxy plate structures that I've seen line drawings of resemble flat shingles or flat toadstools that stick out horizontally (or angled slightly downwards) from the vertical pitcher wall. They have a loose attachment to their base (which allows them to easily break away).
It is possible that simply cutting the flesh down to the 2 cm tissue samples and putting them on the slide (even without a slide cover) destroyed the emergent part of them, leaving only the waxy bases. It depends upon how fragile they actually are. I will dig out my old high power scope that goes from 400x-900x and see if anything can be found, unfortunately it's not digital so I can't post anything unless I can figure out how to photograph through it with my camera...
Guess I'd better dig out the old macro-photography books too...
wink.gif

I know they sell adapters for digital cameras that attach to scopes.

Ok, here is a photo using the Digital Blue QX3 Plus Microscope.

NepenthesGlands.jpg

These are the digetive glands found in Nepenthes x ventrata.

Can you get any images of the waxy plates in the upper waxy zone? Mine doesn't pick up anything but then my digital only goes 20-100%.

This is what I get from the waxy zone.

NepUpperWaxVentrata3.jpg

Very nice! Thanks so much!!! How high of magnification did you have to go to get the plates?

The scope I have does 10x, 60x and 200x. I had to go to 200x.

I will say this is a toy. Its very hard to focus, but does ok for what it is. I spent the night looking for a microscope adapter for my nikon. If I can find it, I have an old scope from my high school laying around somewhere in my parents garage.

Awsome, guys! That's not an everyday sight.
smile.gif
Thanks for sharing the pics. I wish I had a set up like that...the microworld is indeed fascinating!

Back