What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

highland or lowland

• Thread starter fre8train
  • Start date

fre8train

BANNED
I dont know which conditions to give my nep because i dont know what kind of nep it is. I got it off petflytrap and it came with a green pitcher and a gang of red spotts on the side

Sounds like a Nepenthes rafflesiana to me. This is a lowland plant. If you know what to do from there, great! If not, I'll be glad to help you... Just let me know!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

GOOD LUCK!!
~Lithopsman

Lowland: warm to hot temperatures
Highland: warm to cool or cold tempertatures

I assume that is N. rafflesiana or N. gracilis. You can tell by the shape of the pitcher. If it is tubby and squat it's rafflesiana. If the pitchers are more upright and tubular shaped and skinney it's N. gracilis.

Lowlanders are the minority Nepenthes. They require hot days in the 80s and 90s with warm/mild nights in the 60's and 70's. Humidity must be above 60-70% at all times, generally the higher the better.

Highlanders are the majority, approx. 2/3's are montane species. These guys require warms days in the upper 80's to upper 70's (75-85) Cool to cold nights are a must. (50-60) Humidity may be allowed to fall in the day to around 50%, but it should be highest at night. As a general rule fo thumb tho, it should remain high all the time in case hot temperatures threaten, which would kill any Nepenthes in a hot low humidity climate.

Hope that helps!

N. rafflesiana or N. gracilis
are these highland or lowland

I want to accelerate the growth of my nep with the aid of better conditions

Back