What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. macfarlanei & N. diatas

Hi,

my older Sony camera died about three weeks ago and so I had a quite good reason to buy a new and better one.
smile.gif
I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 camera - remembering the nice closeups Tony takes with his predecessor of this camera.

N. macfarlanei:
N_macfarlanei_1103_B.jpg

N_macfarlanei_1103_A.jpg

N. diatas:
N_diatas_1103.jpg

All pictures are already shrinked - 4M pixel are just too much for pictures on the web...

Cheers

Joachim

Nice pictures & plants as always Joachim
smile.gif

I remember you said on your site that you found N.macfarlanei a slow grower, has it speeded up now? My three plants are still quite small and need a bit of a boost! How large are the pitchers?

Is the N. diatas the meadow form?

Did you get the N. argenti sorted out and have you photos of that one?

cheers

bill

Beautiful macfarlanei!

Those tendrils are incredibly long...makes the plant look like something from outer space
laugh.gif

Wow, that macfarlanei really looks weird with those tendrils!
rock.gif
Tarzan can even swing from those things! lol
laugh.gif
It does make it look like it was from outer space
wow.gif
Great plant!
cool.gif

Something to look forward to with my N. macfarlanei!

Congrats, Nikon makes very good cameras! I struggled with the decision between an Olympus with 10x optical zoom or a Nikon with 8x but in the end I got myself the Nikon Coolpix 5700 last year which is I think is 5.5 megapixels and has far more photographers gadgetry than I'll ever use but at least it's there if I want to play around in the future. I forget does the 4300 have the lense that can be bent up and down for photographing at weird angles? I know one of their camera models does this, I could think of some uses for that!

Now, start taking more pics of your plants!
biggrin.gif

Nice pics Joachim! You can see the little hairs under the N. macfarlanei lid too.

I love my little Nikon coolpix990 ;> Even the 3.3 megapixel is far more than enough for posting images and the closeup capabilities are exceptional. My model has the twisting feature and it does come in handy when trying to get a shot at a weird angle. Particularly as I don't set things up in the greenhouse..I just go in and shoot pics freehand. Occasionally moving the pot and pitchers if at all.
Tony

Great pics! I cant wait until my N. macfarlanei starts to look like that!

Hi,

Bill, the biggest N. macfarlanei pitcher is about 12 cm high. This plant still is a slow and picky grower for me not producing any pitchers during the summer. I grow this plant for five years now and it was always difficult but from conversation with other growers I heared their plants were growing at a similar pace.

The N. diatas is the same plant of unknown source I already showed some time ago. It is definitely not from Rob but may be similar to one of his clones. The pitcher is quite small being around 5cm in height.

I got the N. argentii, but won't show pictures before it has setteled in to my conditions and starts to pitcher again.

Oh Tony, I thought you had the Coolpix 885, the 4300 is the successor of this camera. I also had a look at the 5700 but I'm no photographer being able to use all features of it. Extra macro lenses are available, but I haven't thought of getting one yet.

This is a pic of The N. fusca Sarawak from Rob. Judging from my computer display the colour is a bit to pink, pitchers are more reddish in colour.

N_fusca_1103.jpg

Many thanks to all others for the nice comments.

Cheers Joachim

Joachim,
The 5700 has all those "photographers features" but it also has a cheat "autofocus" mode where you can simply point, focus and shoot without setting every possible lens effect, lighting effect, etc. I went a bit nuts cos I had got a new credit card and had been wanting a good digital camera. My old Kodak DC3200 was mys ecodn one and it too was really garbage. Like the ones they giveaway for free now with photo printers!

Anyway, very nice shots! I rather like that Sarawak form of N. fusca, really quite different from the standard N. fusca! I'll have to look into getting myself one!

My Nikon Coolpix 2500 does the same effect. Everything is far too red/pink. Must be typical for Nikon cameras. Nice plants btw, Joachim!

Jan

HMMMMMMMM. I dont think that's N. fusca. I mean it could be, but it looks a heck of a lot like N. faizaliana, especially in the leaves.

The lid on Joachim's plant looks like it is long and triangular (N. fusca) and not orbiculate  as  in N. faizaliana.

I may be forgetful but wasn't the Sarawak form of N. fusca previously considered/mistaken for N. faizaliana at one time? I know there was a discussion a while back on this board.

If you are going by the Tambunan Road form of N. fucas leaf tip, it has an odd tiny heart shaped apex when mature/climbing. I was confused a bit when I noticed this on my N. fusca plant since photos of other N. fusca's I've seen and the big ones at the orchid shop do not have this type of leaf tip.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Nov. 30 2003,11:56)]The lid on Joachim's plant looks like it is long and triangular (N. fusca) and not orbiculate as in N. faizaliana.

I may be forgetful but wasn't the Sarawak form of N. fusca previously considered/mistaken for N. faizaliana at one time?
Hi Josh,

yes this was the plant BE formerly sold as N. faizaliana.

N_fusca_1203.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Back