What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes for dartfrogs vivs

Hi All,
I'm wanting some names of some species of nepenthes that I could put in a couple of my dartfrog tank.The tanks have run about 80% -100% humidity and are on a 12 hours light cycle.I have a 55watt compact florescent fixture over the tank.I don't want a species that gets too big and is epiphytic.Some people have told me the frogs could get caught in the traps but theses frogs are more terrestrial.Thanks in advance for the help.
Mark W.

Hello,
The humidity you have is perfect. What are the temps? You probably have more of a highland setup, 70-80 degree days, 65-high 50's at night. Lowland, 85-90 degree days, 77-85 degree nights.
Kevin

i am just curous... whats wrong with eppiphytes? sp? all neps climb.

I think your frogs will be fine, esp.with smalled neps like your looking for. some smaller neps that look great are n belli, n ampullaria, and n gracilis.

theres one that starts with a P and its name looks like "parvelli" and it makes rosettes and rarely climbs, but i dont think you can get those. its from the seychelles i think.

Well Mark, in one of my PDF tanks (taller one) I keep N. Gracillis and N.Ventricosa. In the other I have N. Ampullaria (good for low light, warm swamps). Don't worry too much about the frogs getting caught, many species (Pumilio for one) can rase young in the pitchers.

Good Luck
Joe

I guess I need to proofread my posts before I post them
tounge.gif
What I meant to say was I didn't want a big plants but I want it to be an epiphytic one.My tank stays about 75 during the winter and cools to 70 at night so not a big varience in temps.
Thansk to all for the replys so far.
Mark W.

almost all of them are viney,so youcould disguise (sp?) the plant to make it look epp. You could grow them on the sides and back of the tank in mounts of substrate, if you want. Or get one that grows quickly and has long vines (i'm thinking gracilis) and tie the vines to the back of the tank. N. campanulata is small and forms rosettes, but grows on cliffs in the wild and it easy.

I hope that helps!

Back