What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I use free light
wink.gif
the sun. But the lowlanders are under 2 shop lights 4 footers with alternating lights of 2 cool and 2 warm lights, approx 12,300 lumens total I'm guessing.

How did I miss this thread??

NICE plants and pics Nep G.  Your plants are always amazing.

I'm curious...just HOW MANY neps do you have??  lol  It seems like an endless stream of plants...

Lucky you!

Hi Dustin,

nice plants! Interesting to see that your N. sibuyananensis seems to have much thicker tendrils than my plants have. The N. glabrata will produce more typical looking pitchers in a few months time:

N_glabrata_1203.jpg

Cheers Joachim

My pictures are in the pinned thread.. I wasn't sure if this was "THE" december gallery, or Nep G's december gallery.
smile.gif

Suzzane, you missed this? How dare you!
mad.gif
tounge.gif
I did winter inventory, and at count I have 50 total seperate species and hybrids. At a gross count it'd be around 55 total nepenthes, you know pots fulls of gracilis cuttings, a stray ventricosa on the greenhouse benches...a smaller N. truncata.
wink.gif

Joachim, yes it seems that this clone isn not going to reduce tendril thickness either, seems a prominent trait in my plant, new tendrils are just as thick as that one. By the way, beautiful N. glabrata! Looks similar to Jeff's clone.

Pat, this is MY gallery grr go away! lol j/k I just put it up because the majority are my pictures but I love to compare to other people's like Joachims N. glabrata for example, his looks just as healthy as mine and he has a harder time to provide cool nights, lighting, etc so it's nice to see how plants grown in a greenhouse differ from those grown indoors (right Joachim?) in a terrarium or similar enclosure.

Thought I would throw in this one too, I just noticed it today in the ghouse.

Newest N. hamata 'black' pitcher
hamata.JPG

Hey,
That is awesome Dustin! Now I crave a N. hamata...lol
Kevin

Thanks for the scared comments! lol Seems everyone that either visits or sees a photo of my N. hamata always has a bewildered expression or serious fondness for the plant. One of my family members (my aunt to be exact) was afraid to touch it.
laugh.gif

lol man no offence but with all it's "teeth" curved inwards it looks a bit retarded  
rock.gif
sorry if i have offended u but it dose!!!!!
laugh.gif

it's a great pic tho

unclesam.gif

Matti, it has not fully expanded or colored up in the photo he's showing.

yeah,i know that i was just saying that it looked abit retarded when the prinstrome is pointed in
im shure it will be a very nice pitcher when it matures
btw dustin is the hamata teeth sharp like the bicalcarata's???

unclesam.gif

omg,that was rude. You didn't have to say that.

I love your hamata! i hope to have one some day!

Matti notice the word NEWEST above the photo. This generally indicates a NEW pitcher! N. hamata's peristome is quite pointy and rigid but nothing like N. bicalcarata's fangs. N. bicalcarata has more of a tougher pitcher whilst N. hamata's pitchers feel like a chinese paper lantern. Very flimsy yet able to take quite a bit of stress before showing signs of breaking.

Pill, yes it is a very pleasing plant, not too hard ot grow as long as humidity and nocturnal temperature drops can be provided.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very flimsy yet able to take quite a bit of stress before showing signs of breaking.

May I ask how you found this out? Surely you didn't break the teeth off a pitcher?
wink.gif
rock.gif

SF

No, lol I used a pitcher that was damaged by something when it was opened....I'm guessing a bug or maybe a form of rot. SO when it opened (with half a lid and like 3 teeth) I just cut it off and tried a flexibility test on it just for kicks.

Here's one that might floor some pepple...

I cut off a freshly opened & fully expanded 20 cm N. hamata pitcher and preserved it in some of that clear plastic resin they used to sell preserved scorpions and tarantulas in. Unfortunately I used too much hardener so it got too warm & boiled most of the purple color out of the pitcher so it's forever preserved as a golden N. hamata with a purple peristome. It's a nice shelf ornament anyway!

oh ok sorry if i offended you
blues.gif

unclesam.gif

You know Josh, that would be a neat way to show that "I did have a pitcher this big" scenario.

Mattii, nothing offensive but read once in a while, it saves you.
wink.gif

Back