What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to do one from each of my plants as a bookshelf decoration or something (only when they have nice sized adult pitchers though) but I still have to work out the formula so that I don't boil the poor pitcher or crack the resin (I did both on the hamata). I did an ampullaria with way too little catalyst (hardener) and it never hardened totally in two weeks! So somewhere inbetween is the sweet spot!

The bad part of doing this is it's expensive and it really stinks to high heaven! My girlfriend actually said she was afraid people would think I was making drugs or something from the ungodly chemical smell! I'll admit it was bad-I could swear I was seeing stars but so many products say "use with ventilation" (like mask making rubber latex) and they sure aren't anywhere near THIS bad!

So, I won't be doing any more attempts at preserving pitchers until spring when I can setup a small table in the garage with the big dor open. And here I thought I'd found something fun I could do in the middle of winter...!

Don't give up. If you perfect this formula, you can make some nice hobby money producing stocking stuffers for the Nepenthophile.

Regards,

Joe

wow you guys have some beatiful pitchers!!!

I hope to have some sweet ones soon....:;):

Back