What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium info

trashcan

O:-)
Hi,

I have seen various recommendations for temperature ranges for lowland and highland Nepenthes? What range do you keep your
plants in, and what do you think is ideal?
And do you feel air circulation is necessary for lowlanders (day and night?)? And I know highlanders generally appreciate it, but not sure when is best.

As far as cooling, what are my options? I can pipe in air from my window, but that is climate dependant (and I'm moving to Texas later). I can do something with a mini-fridge, but that would mean scrapping my current terrarium and its brand new lights, and I think it would be quite expensive.

I'm collecting information as part of a plan to build a better, and nearly self-managing terrarium. I'll post instructions in the forums if anyone is interested, and if I'm able to make one. If you would like to contribute, feel free to post suggestions, or email me.

Thanks,
Pat

I have less than a full year of having a dedicated lowland setup, but i can tell you that my lowland tank is almost completely sealed, and the plants are growing very well. Temperatures are at lowest 70F or maybe 65 on really cold nights, and it gets above 80F most days. Summer i'll have trouble keeping it from getting over 100F at times, so it'll have to be better ventilated.

The AC intake is probably a good approach for highland, because it's not climate dependent. I intend to use a chiller (similar to that used for aquaria) because i got it free from school, where it had been used for cooling lab equipment. Right now, it's just an air intake from between the inner and outer window, and in the few days i've had it set up, it gets around 11C nights.

i have a grow chamber thing, a clear-ish box. Since I just put a bical in there today, I wont be able to give much help. After maybe a couple of weeks I can tell you if this simple set-up works. (there are 2 compact flourescents above it and foil covering some of the inside of the box).

I have an unheated, uncooled 50-gallon aquarium in my dining room that I'm growing stuff in. Temperatures range from low 60s at night to almost 80 during the day. It has a glass lid that I slide open depending on the current humidity. It usually has about an inch gap along the back. I put a small computer fan in it for circulation. It has four 20-inch fluorescent tubes. I'm growing a N. albomaringata, an N. trichocarpa, and a N. x Holland in there currently, and they are all growing and pitchering vigorously.

Capslock

WHOO! i am so happy to hear you guys get that! i was worried that the high 60's would be too cold for my lowlanders! (hi 70's in the day)

Just wondering,trachcan, why would you want to cool a lowland tank at night?

Hi Pat, It depends on how you want to grow your plants. I try to give my plants as close to ideal and constant temps, light, humidity, prey,etc. as I can. It helps them grow faster and be healthier if cultivation conditions do not fall out of their general natural ranges.

For lowlanders I have the enclosures in the warmest part of the house (to capitalize on that heat already present) and use a lot of lights and seal the openings of the tanks (as D. suggested above) and this gives me days of 85-95*F and nights of 70-75*F

For highlanders they experience a range of 68-78*F days and 40-55*F nights most of the year simply by using fresh Minnesota air piped in from my window. This method of cooling is dependent upon where you live. When it gets warmer at night in the summer I put the air intake infront of an air conditioner to get the proper nighttime cooling.

Back