What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who has the biggest

and what do you keep it in? Pics would be great!!

I have one that I got in July I think, its now pushing 17" across, it was a tiny thing when I got it. It still has some of its original pitchers too. Just wondering what everyone is doing with these potential huge plants.

My smaller N. bicalcarata 'orange' is about 20 inches across.

My mammoth plant is about a half a foot shy of 3 foot across. so 2.5 feet across.

so what do you keep it in? Any pics?

We have a large female bicalcarata, "Big Mama", that is more than three feet across. I'll measure her when I get home tonight. I would take a picture of her, but don't have a digital camera. I'm stuck in the twentieth century with a Nikon F3 and a bunch of expensive Nikkor lenses, so I shoot transparencies. A friend of mine has a Coolpix, so maybe I can borrow it.
Snowy Falcon saw her during the summer. She's even bigger now. Michelle (my wife) gives her about a gallon of water every other day-growing in LFSphag., in a five gallon pot. The main vine is like a broom handle. I'll need a chainsaw when I take cuttings.

Trent

Here's the "big one" and the smaller one, nothing compared by the sounds of it to Trent's big female, but I hoep mine will be there someday
smile.gif
These plants are housed in an indoor lowland grow chamber. The temperate at the highest is 25.7C or 78.2F on average and lows are around 63F or 17.3C

My "mammoth"
bical1.JPG

Little one
bical2.JPG

mine is about half again bigger than your 'little one' and it's a 'red/orange' variant... I think also called a 'blusher'...

pitchers are about two inches tall...

it's in my terrarium, I have come to the conclusion the terrarium is great for little plants, but stifles growth on larger ones... as soon as I have an alternative, it's gonna get ripped apart and the plants will get a new potted home.

I'll testify to Trent's Bicalc. It's huge! I don't think I can even imagine it bigger!
tounge.gif
wow.gif

SF

mines about 4 inches with 0 pitchers.  the fact that I got it this october or so for less than 20 bucks explains that.
wink.gif
  its a 'red flush'.

My enormous one was nearly 2 meters in diameter with 20 x 15 cm cm pitchers and begining to climb this last August when I repotted (and subsequently killed it by doing so). My apologies to you folks who were waiting for cuttings that were supposed to be available from it this upcoming summer!
sad.gif

So my current N. bicals are 35 cm in diameter with 8 cm pitchers.

swords, that sucks loads... sorry to hear it.

Wow, that sucks. I feel sorry for you. Hehe, It's comparable to the Super huge 3' stem, 17" pitchered, new N. truncata x thorelii I had got last year. Sadly, my mother intentionaly killed it. Oh sweet painful memmories... Anyway, my relatively new bical is about 8" diameter.

How/why would she intentionally kill your plant?

I measured "Big Mama" this morning. From leaf tip to leaf tip, not including tendrils or pitchers, she's 55 inches.

Trent

Swords, that bites...
At least they grow fairly quickly, though, so you other one shouldn't be too far behind.

I saw a bical at the NECPS show that had to be 4 feet across (didn't actually measure it). The pitchers were almost as big as my head.

thanks for the pics, nepenthes gracilis. Any full shots of the grow chamber?
Trent, what are you keeping yours in?
Im asking, because, mine is outgrowing its enclosure. I want to put it in a chamber that it will stay in for life (or for a long time).

I'll have to agree with Schloaty -

That monster bical won the outstanding plant award at the show and was the most frightening plant I have ever seen. The kids didn't want to go near it!

WildBill

I have her in a greenhouse.
All you growers up north have cool nights to grow highlanders, but our warm humid summers here in south Florida is perfect for species like bicalcarata, ampullaria, rafflesiana, even merriliana and sumatrana. Maxima and khasiana are the only highlanders that tolerate our warm summer nights. Veitchii and fusca struggle. Right now our highland plants are starting to look good because of the cool nights, yet species like bical and amp remain unaffected.

Trent

Here' a full pic of it: Beautiful it is not, but serve my purposes it does! All it is consisting of are 2 4 ft shop light fixtures with alternating tubes (4 total) of warm and cool whites. The warms were 3300 lumens and the cool whites must be close to that so I'm guessing a total of about 13,200 lumens is being given to the plants at a distance of about 1 foot to 1 foot and a half. (30 to 45 cm away). They are connected to a timer for summer hours, so my house is lit up after daylight hours quite well!
smile.gif
The chamber consists of simple plastic garbage bags heavily sealed with tape together over a metal vinyl coated frame. I have numerous white cardboard reflectors on the chamber to minimize light loss. The heat is supplied by the radiator in the back and keeps the chamber very toasty at about 80F in the day down to 70 or even 65F at night depends upon how much the furnace runs.

chamber.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 03 2003,9:40)]Here' a full pic of it: Beautiful it is not, but serve my purposes it does!
You sound like Yoda! LOL
anyway, thanks for the pic, looks like it works great. I guess I will have to build somthing very soon.

Here's a link to the pic of the bical Schloaty described EDIT: never mind the pic wont show anymore

Back