What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New feeding schedule

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
After feeding my Neps every 14 days for the past few months with no pitcher fatalities that are attributable to feeding. I have decided to switch to a weekly schedule. Every 6-7 days one or two crickets into each open and fluid containing pitcher. Mondays this week tuesdays next week, monday week after (due to my goofy work schedule).

How often do you all feed your plants these days? I know there's a big pinned topic but I mean currently, have any of you increased feding and noticed positive results? It appears to me that feeding increases all activities of the plants; leaf and pitcher size, rate of growth, absorbtion rate of water (this may indicate more root growth and hence more water uptake), etc.

YAY more FEEDING!
tounge.gif
next up. . . daily lemurs!!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
smile.gif

It seems like there is so much emphasis on the dangers of overfeeding and rotting pitchers in growing books. As long as you make sure the prey is completely submerged in the fluid only good things seem to happen, at least with crickets.

Bloodworms (red mosquito larvae/defrosted frozen fish food) is apparently too rich because a single feeding with a few of them wiped out some pitchers on my plants a long time ago so I never used them again.

Do you use live crickets or frozen crickets? Sorry, I can't share any experience with feeding, I personally don't.

I buy crickets from the reptile shop in a big bag size and freeze them. Whenever I need some to feed the plants I dump a few of each size into a disposible cup with some R/O water and set it on a terrarium lid to heat up and defrost. I use a big forceps to reach the crickets to the pitchers on the far end of the terrariums and open pitchers at weird angles.

Why do people not feed their insectivorious plants insects?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Dec. 09 2003,9:26)]Why do people not feed their insectivorious plants insects?
rock.gif

I personally don't because I don't have any food handy, and I also have a limited amount of free time available.. Maybe if I hung out less around here ...
wink.gif

Hey swords,
I find feeding live crickets helps the pitchers produce more fluid if the fluid level is low. Something in the struggling seems to stimulate the juice glands.
To your original question, I've been feeding my neps crickets once a month. I guess it's time to increase the frequency and see what happens.

Whenever I see a fly buzzing around the house, I catch and toss them in my terrarium in hopes that they'll be lured into the pitchers. Otherwise, I pull off their wings and toss them in. Though infrequent... it's free. Haven't tried ants yet....
It's winter now so my Neps will have to go hungry a bit.

biggrin.gif

I just did a winter feeding frenzy. I like to get bugs into any pitchers now, I took a bunch of my mealworm beetles and fed every pitcher I could find...the smaller ones were given chopped up mealworms...I think I had 5 flys in the greenhouse which also went to smaller plants.

Back