What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My, what big teeth you have

• Thread starter machete
  • Start date
plant1.jpg

Good pic! I tried to get a picture like that, and the insect kept jumping out of my camera shot.

SF

Nice pic, and camera too!

that is so freaking sweet!

those pics are what turned me into a wannabe Nepguy...(I'll still keep a few flytraps)

plant4.jpg

I could just stare at them all day. Crazy for somthing that doesnt move.
laugh.gif

You don't stare at them because they move, but because they move you with their inherent beauty and striking forms.

What conditions is your bical in? thats a cool plant!!
biggrin.gif

Great pics , like the backdrop idea , i can't wait to get my own plant .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Dec. 16 2003,12:42)]What conditions is your bical in? thats a cool plant!!
biggrin.gif
I have read that they need lots of heat and humidity, so I tried that at first with good growth. But now how I keep it, is with still high humidity, but there is a night time drop of about 10 degrees. It gets to the low 70's, but the humidity is still high. Anyway, since I have been letting the temp go down at night, the plant has just went crazy. The two new pitchers are easily twice as big as the previuos ones, and the newest one looks to be a monster. My raff. is also getting bigger, quicker, with the temp drop.

Oh thanks, mine gets a 14+ degrees drop at night, about 83 or so during the day (at the hottest) to about EDIT:68-38 at night. (yeah, too cold) It has a pretty nice pitcher hook that just wont "inflate"
sad.gif

Droseradude,
This "pitcher hook" more commonly known as a tendril, is probably already a gonner. The tendrils have to be made in proper conditions for them to inflate. The thirties is even to cold for highlanders, and bical is an extreme lowlander. I suggest that you set up a real lowland grow chamber or at least a roomy heated terrarium to allow that bical to thrive. Then the tendrils produced on the next leaves will drop and "inflate"
laugh.gif
GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

now the pitcher hook has little wings. . .come on. ..

Bicalcarata should have no problem with 68 F, especially with 83 F days. I would think 38F would do serious damage to the plant, if not kill it.

Trent

ok, thanks. Yes, 38 would probably kill it.

update: I guess the humidity was too low, around 79 or 80. and the temps could be a tad higher. so. . . I got this reptile heating mat. (repti therm) and put it under the pot. as for humidity, I got an ultrasonic humidifier (the little ones for frogs and stuff). (both were Christmas presents).

Back