What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

got a mystery home depot nep....

I bought a nep at home depot it had three pitchers on it, the largest being about 3" and smallest about 1"...they were dead so I clipped them off is this ok to do? also since I cliped the end of the leaf off will a new tendril grow from that leaf or no? for some reason I'm thinking no...

I've watered it with RO/DI ( I have a 6 stage ro unit I use for my reef) and it seemed to perk up. Its currantly getting its light by sitting next to my 100 gallon reef which is lit by two 400 watt iwaskies two 96 watt pwer compacts and two 75 watt VHO's. So its getting the spill off light...is that to much ?

-Jess

Hi, how are you?
Yes, you are correct in thinking that no new tendril will grow from the same leaf but don't worry, hopefully a new leaf will develop soon.
If you think that the plant is getting enough light and the temperature isn't too low,then I'd leave it alone for a month or so to let it acclimatise before thinking about repotting etc. Water moderately, keep moist but not wet and if the plant likes your conditions then maybe after 2 or 3 weeks (or longer) it should produce a new leaf and a pitcher should develop at the end of the leaf tip. I think you just need to be patient for a while,...
happy growing, Neil.
biggrin.gif

I can play the waiting game seems thats a trait I can carry over from my reefing habit....

Thanks for the info...my room which the plant is in averages about 80* F during the day...

the halides heat the room up quite a bit:)

Hey Flip Side,
Welcom (back?) to the forums. The neps you can get in HD type stores are usually pretty hardy. However, they are also frequently abused by whatever establishment sold them. They get no light, tap water (eek!), kids prodding them, low humidity (depending on where you live), etc. All the stuff that makes us cringe. Don't be surprised if it takes some time to recover...neps frequently experience shipping/bad handling shock.
Since you said it perked up a bit from the fresh watering, you may be lucky. You may have aquired it before it sank into the depths of a looooong shock period. Hope so! I'm not sure about your spill over lighting, as I don't know what kind of lights are used in a reef aquarium. I know your wattage, but not you CRI, lux or color temp. These are the real factors, much more so than watts. Aso, the distance from the light source is a big factor.
Your best bet is to keep an eye on it for the next several weeks and watch for it's mood. If it seems to gradually get happier, then it's a safe bet you're doing it right.
Good luck with it! If you can post a pic in the id forum, perhaps someone here on the forums can even tell you what breed your pet monster is!
smile.gif

the 400 watters are iwasakis so the are 6500K the 96 watt PC's are actinic so I don't think the plant will benifit from the actinics (they are somthing like 7200K) the VHOS are actinics as well...

the plant is about 28 inches from the light....

even though it has no pitchers(yet) can it still be id? its leaves are red and green and quite broad not long and skinny.

It may be possible for someone here to ID it since Home Depots likely only sell the most common hybrids and easier growing species but we would have to see the plant, also closeups of the way the leaf attaches to the stem, and the the tips of the leaves and the way the tendril attaches would help (too late for that!). Can you post some images?

I will try and get you guys some pics of it.... even without its pitchers I'm still hipnotically find myself staring at it....is that normal?

Yes. It's one of the behavioral characteristics of a Nepenthephile.

laugh.gif

Trent

Ya know, I could also post a pic of my unknown lowes nep- it has 1 pitcher that is quite different than  one it came with. (a gubler one) and hopefully I will shrink this one
wink.gif
 (the pic). Thought someone said gubler hybrids are n. gentle a lot. (Tony?) anyway, I can get one up maybe today-the weekend.

staring at neps. . . probably a lot of us do that. We all LOOK at our neps sometime- they're
wow.gif
and I look at my bical which doesnt have pitchers.

They water them?!

At the store I got mine, I chose it because its cup was the heaviest.....all the rest were bone dry.

Right now, I never have more than one large and in good condition pitcher.....it seems that I always make some kind of feeding oops sooner or later....(though the plant itself is fine)!

Right now, the plant is down to one unopened pitcher, one mini pitcher, black & leaking pitcher(overfed.....next time, I'll stick with ants!)...and one new tendril.

I always stare at the unopened pitcher.
rock.gif
hmmmm....
laugh.gif

staring at unopened picthers..... Seems to be a common thing...at least I'm not the only one...

Gease this is going to be my last hobby I venture into...

Between my reef system my bimmer and these neps I'm going to be poor again pretty soon... I already ordered a N. truncata and a N. maxima off ebay!!!!!! ACK ITS TAKING OVER!!!!!!!!!!

soon my room will be over grown with coral car parts and Neps....
wow.gif
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
sad.gif
smile.gif

Thats ok...most girls I know love a well grown Nepenthes...and a reef tank is always cool....and you can make coral necklaces, get a voodoo mask, cut off an old hamata picther and have a killer Halloween(I hope thats spelled right) costume.....
laugh.gif

My ID guess without seeing... Judith Finn.
biggrin.gif

N_JudithFinn03_web.jpg

do u have a pic of just the leaf? thats all mine havr
biggrin.gif
9sry typing t on handd othre is ni cast(

Back