What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ Feb. 13 2004,14:38)]N. clipeata has not been found in habit and seems to be extinct (due to environment changes and most propably over-collection of Nepenthes enthusiasts
sad.gif
). So a program to reestablish N. clipeata on G. Kelam has been started and therefore a big genetic pool is of course very valuable.  

Cheers Joachim
Is that true Joachim?
sad.gif
That saddens me, I was unaware of that N. clipeata is now definetly "extinct" from the wild. I thought it was in a park association?

Thanks for clarifying that for me and that is truly sad news regarding N. clipeata

Andre

Hi Dustin,

quote from the ICPS homepage:

----------
Nepenthes clipeata Survival Program

One of the rarest of the tropical pitcher plants, Nepenthes clipeata is only found on vertical cliff faces of Gunung Kelam, in Kalimantan Barat. Droughts, human habitat destruction, and high levels of poaching have reduced the plant population to shreds. The plant has a low probabability of surviving for even 20 years.

The ICPS is organizing a network of botanical gardens and tissue culture labs which have clones of Nepenthes clipeata in cultivation. We will be attempting to determine how many distinct lineages of Nepenthes clipeata are presently in cultivation. While the ICPS strongly promotes protection of wild populations of plants, this is a case in which ex situ conservation is the approach most likely to be successful and realistic.

------------

A friend of mine klimbed G. Kelam in 1993 and already at that time no plants were found at the type location. AFAIK the park area is not a conservation area, but a recreation area for people...

Cheers Joachim

That is truly sickening. I hope this restoration project goes through good.

Back