What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata

Hi,

finally also my N. hamata has produced an bigger and more mature pitcher. My plant origins from Andreas and I still think this clone is different to the plants originating from Malesiana tropicals (i.e. Josh's and Dustin's N. hamata). The peristome of this clone is not as compressed and the shape of the pitcher is different.

N_hamata_1203.jpg

N_hamata_1203_B_small.jpg

I know the first picture is a bit oversized, but the file size with about 100k should be OK.

Cheers Joachim

That is just awesome!

Now I know where my x-mas money is going....
wink.gif

Wow, the first picture is spectacular! Great work with the camera, and nice plants too of course.
smile.gif

Yes indeed Joachim,

That is a wholly different clone, because mine is nowhere near that furry on the pitcher sides and there are fewer teeth on the more rounded mouth of your plant.  My count is 43-45 teeth on the peristome in your first picture and there are at least 61-63 teeth on mine.

hamataposter.jpg

The N. hamata photos shown by Rob Cantley also display a much wider peristome with fewer teeth as we see on your plant and in the Flora Malesiana drawing.

Very nice Joachim!
smile.gif
I've also attached 2 photos of my most recent pitcher that has very similar peristome coloration to yours. In time though it will turn to black like Josh's plant, but since my plant is beginning to vine this may be a step towards intermediates perhaps.

hamata1.JPG

hamata2.JPG

I think the clone I got from Wisuba is more like yours Joa. It's amazing though, how the plant is only 1" dia., with half inch pitchers, yet the teeth are so prominant and visible. Why did nepenthes develop teeth anyway? To keep out small lizards?

wasn't it to keep out small monkeys from grabbing the contents of the pitcher out? the monkeys can reach in, but when they try to pull their hands out, they get stuck and fall in. i don't think there were many sightings of monkeys in pitcher, so this theory may be false
wink.gif
. Zongyi

N. hamata does not get that large! I'd be surprized if a primate could fit his fore arm into a pitcher. The claws are just nature's way of freakish evolution, and to lure plants freaks like us to buy them.
wink.gif

>finally also my N. hamata has produced an bigger and more mature pitcher. My plant origins from Andreas and I still think this clone is
>different to the plants originating from Malesiana tropicals (i.e. Josh's and Dustin's N. hamata). The peristome of this clone is not as
>compressed and the shape of the pitcher is different.

As far as I know, many (all?) of the N. hamata plants sold by Andreas during the past few years originated from Malesiana Tropicals as well, since many plants were purchased by him from MT.  However I'm not sure if Andreas has also been growing and propagating plants from other sources.  Also, AFAIK nearly all of the N. hamata plants being circulated in the US orginate at some point or other from the MT stock.  These plants come from a single seed collection made in Central Sulawesi in 1996 and are composed of 18 different sibling clones.  There was a small bit of variation in these clones, mostly in the length and density of the peristome teeth, but also somewhat in the coloration (one clone was nearly black both inside and outside the pitchers) and the extent of bristles on the lid.  This corresponds to the variation I have seen in the wild population.  The most striking variant I have seen in the wild (which unfortunately is not in cultivation) is a green-pitchered plant with a dark purple peristome (see photo).  I'd be keen to hear if anyone has turned up with this color variant in their plants.  Also, does anyone grow N. hamata from locations other than Gunung Lumut in Central Sulawesi?

Best regards,
Ch'ien

CLP010173.jpg

Chi'en you beat me to the submit post button! Answering much of my below statements!

That pitcher Chi'en shows is what my resin preserved N. hamta pitcher looks like after I boiled all the pigmentation out of it by using too much catalyst (refer to N. gracilis' December gallery)! I wonder if this is what an N. hamata would look like grown in dense shade and creating under developed coloration? Was it found growing in an open location?

Hmm, I'm wondering, perhaps it is the natural sunlight that Joachim & Dustin are growing with and it assists in this sort of peristome development?  How are you growing your hamata Nathaniel? Underlights or in a greenhouse/window terrarium?

My plant is climbing (as you've seen in photos) and still the peristome is the same on the mature rosette pitchers. Those intermediates/uppers which have grabbed onto the plant stakes are taking forever to inflate... The plant has decided to revert to developing those undeveloped pitchers from last summer (August/Sept) and activate two or three nodes from the main climbing stem as well as continue advancing the main climbing stem... I'm pacing in anticipation to see what the next stage of pitchers will look like.

I'm pretty sure sunlight would likely not affect the actual furiness of the pitchers. The pitchers on my hamata are only velvety soft like N. fusca whereas the fur on Joachims hamata looks more like the fur on my N. macrophylla or N. lowii.

I will try and take some pictures this weekend.

For now I can only add that there is a clone out there that has similar pitchers to that green one Ch'ien but only when the plant is young.  As it gains size it will get a red flush in very high light which will eventually turn purple/black.  You can see in this picture the newly opened pitcher still fairly red colored and the old pitchers in the background with just a little black veining showing.

Nhamata_RflushMTCR.jpg

Borneo Exotics has recently been releasing N. hamata.  Until then all my plants have been from Malesiana.  Which have looked very similar to Wistuba clones in pictures I have seen and I suspected they were from a similar source.  The plants from Rob look a little different at this stage but are still on the young side.  They look to me having a more bulbous base and a more circular pitcher opening with finer denser speckling.  I have not inquired to the origin.  Maybe Rob can fill us in here.
NhamataBECR.jpg

Tony

BE's 2 clones came to us from a TC lab in the US under license. I'm not at liberty to say much more than that other than so far as I know the seeds originated from the same collection referred to by Ch'ien, so possibly even the parent plant is the same as all the other clones in circulation.

BE's clones are very similar in appearance to each other, although we have only got one of them up to a large size so far. Of course, we're hoping that they will be of opposite sex so that conjugal union may one day be possible!
biggrin.gif

Hi,

many thanks for your comments and the clarification! I know that ANdreas sold Malesiana Tropcals plants for some time but my N. hamata is one of the first plants which was produced in TC by Andreas. Andreas as well as Joachim Nerz have pictures of N. hamata in habit on G. Lumut ( http://www.heliamphora.de/cms....09.html and http://www.joachim-nerz.de/hamata.htm - the peristome of the upper pitcher on the first picture is just amazing...) So I guess they visited Sulawesi and found N. hamata as well as N. glabrata.

Ch'ien can you tell us how big the plants in habit were? In the type decription is stated lower pitchers are up to 11.5cm high and upper ones are up to 20cm high. This is of course well below the size of the big lower pitchers of Josh's plant (around 20cm if I remember correct).

Cheers

Joachim

P.S.: Pat, FYI I've uploaded the original picture (~530k) with better resolution: http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_hamata_1203_big.jpg

I'd say the fangs are a reflection of God's beauty in his creation that he graciously allowed us to enjoy.
smile.gif

I also agree I do not think such a marvels plant could have just evolved

-Jeremiah-

Why is it nobody thinks that "god" invented evolution, and if he did, what's all the noise about!
smile.gif

Hi Joachim,

Do you happen to know which of the four (?) clones Wistuba is currently offering is the one you are growing (and which is in your pic)?

Cheers.

Rob Howe
http://www.rob-rah.com - music, travel, plants and me!
udder7@hotmail.com

Back