What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with my cuttings.

Hi,
I made several nepenthes cuttings for the first time about 2 months ago, and I'd like to know when they are ready to send to people. I've already promised a few out, but am hesitant to ship them if they're too fragile still. By the way, I plan to ship them in the 4-inch pots they're currently in. Here's a pic of one of them, a N. x ventrata:

Nep%20cutting.JPG

Is this a reasonable result for 2 months? I'm scared to dig one up to look at the roots, but should I?

Thanks!
Capslock

It should have a few roots. Generally the cutting will grow before roots are developed I have found to be the majority of the time. You can uproot the cutting and check it. Just be careful because the new roots are like aloe vera leaves, too much pressure and they snap with a pop sound. I'd say that is a fine cutting to send. Just pack and if you want include one of those 60hr. heat packs which are said to work quite well. I haven't ever used them myself, but claims are positive.

If you use enough packing material (I use shreded newspaper packed as tightly as possible) and a box big enough that can't be left in a mailbox, generally any box 8" x 8" or larger can't be stuffed into a mailbox. I recently had an orchid sent in an empty Capri Sun fruit drink pouch box and it froze in my mailbox before I could get to it-I am hoping it will live but not very hopeful... Also it would be helpful write "Keep from Heat or Cold, Deliver to Door" in several places on the box and send via 2-3 day Priority Mail then there should be no problem.

I don't sell/trade cuttings until they have a few fully formed leaves but that's just me.

Josh, do you wait because it increases the hardiness of the plant or just so you can deliver a better deal? I ask because I'm giving these away, and so I don't have to match the quality or value of a trade. My only concern is the survival of the plant.

Dustin, thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I have enough guts to dig one up. LOL!!!

Capslock

With my cuttings, when the growth point starts to unfold, the first root is just poking its way out of the stem. After the second leaf, I think it's ready to send. Great generosity there, so good luck!

SF

I would agree, as the new shoot is beginning to poke through the roots are also starting to grow. I would wait on shipping. They are at a tender stage where movement of the stem could damage the emerging roots. Better to wait until the cutting has a few developed leaves and is securely rooted.

Tony

Side note. If you have more than one cutting in a pot and do not wish them to remain one interwined mass, get them potted up seperately before the roots knot together!

I wait because as tony said, they are fragile when just rooting at that stage and will have a better survival rate if shipping is held off. And yes, I do also try and send as nice looking of a plant as I can.

Back