What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mirabilis 'Echinostomata'

Hi folks,

I've got a young N. mirabilis var. Echinostomata (latest leaf about 12 cm/pitcher 8 cm) the front of the peristome is fat but the peristome doesn't seem to be expanding anywhere else.

How large must the pitchers (or plant) be before it starts to make the charachteristic wide/flattened peristome?

Do only the upper pitchers make these sort of pitchers?

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

Hi Swords,
We've got a bunch of echinostomas. As the young plants get up to about a foot across, you will start to see the peristome take on the wider and flatter characteristic. It's kind of like the typical Nep with an expanded peristome- peristome size comes with maturity. As for the lowers and uppers: the lowers are similar to uppers, but are a bit more rounded in the lower part of the pitcher. They also have the expanded peristome. Also, on the young plants, even as the peristome starts to look like what you expect, the color remains a pale yellow. Again, as the plant matures, the stripes and shadings gradually become more prominent. However, spotting on the pitcher appears at a young age. We've got one clone that is so heavily spotted, it is nearly a solid red.
Hope this has been helpful.
Trent

Thanks Trent,
I guess I shouldn't worry about seeing the peristome doing anything exciting for some more months then!

Trent, would you be able to post a few pics of your plant?
smile.gif

We're working on the picture situation. Hopefully in the near future we will be posting lots of shots. I'll be sure to include the heavily spotted echinostoma-the color patterns remind me of N. coccinea. Right now its slowed down with the shorter days (no new pitchers but its growing-it behaves as a true ultra lowlander).

Trent

Back