What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.ampullaria

Cindy

Staff member
I've been so busy with my sundews seeds and gemmae that I forgot to look at my ampullaria. But it gave me this for Christmas...
biggrin.gif

amp_intermediate_pitcherrs.jpg

Now, I'm hoping for upper pitchers for Valentine's Day!  
wink.gif

Fantastic! How long is the vine these appeared on? Mine is nearing 1 meter but still only making lowers.

1 foot. Now I suspect the plant was a cutting from the upper vine...  
cool.gif
Another of my ampullaria is also forming intermediate pitchers and it's only 6 inch tall!
wow.gif

Very nice, Cindy. I think it'll be quite a while before I see those on my amp. You have succeeded in making me jealous.
tounge.gif

Sweet. For some reason I didn't even think they had uppers, since I had only ever seen lowers.

SF

When I was down at Mike Catalani's 2 summers ago, he had a few intermediate/uppers on his N. ampullaria plants and claimed they produce them when they are under stress or very high light levels are given to it....and in Tennessee with no shade cloth on his greenhouse the plants were certinaly under high light levels!!! BTW, Uppers will have the lid and tendril connected on the same side of the pitcher, hopefully you'll see them next perhaps.

Very Nice, Mine are all a foot long and producing very nice lowers (still). I'd love to see a picture of an upper if anyone has one.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know where to get a giant form from?

joe

Joe,
Wistubas "Tayeve, New Guinea form" of N. ampullaria is supposed to be a "giant". Just how big exactly the pitchers will get I don't know yet. I have a 10 cm diameter seedling of this form but the pitchers are only 2.5 cm and still juveniles at the moment.
It appears to be a rapid grower though because it had no pitchers when it arrived 11-20-03 and now has 4, also a second shoot has popped up from the soil.
smile.gif

Back