What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two N. truncata

truncata,green2,40%.jpg

truncata,red2,30%.jpg

I believe both the images above are N. truncata but they look quite different. Are they two different varieties or is it due to the growing conditions?
truncata,green,30%.jpg

I'm not sure what happened but it posted the topic before I'd finished typing,......
Here is a close-up of the 2nd type.
truncata,red,35%.jpg

I'm just interested to know why 2 plants both labelled N. truncata look so different. Could one of them be a hybrid?
Happy growing, Neil.

They're both N. truncata, but probably from different locations and hence are different varieties. I have the second one, which I think comes from Malesiana Tropicals.

The one pitcher there looks like it had a minor mutation to it.

Another factor is lower vs. upper pitchers. Lower pitchers on truncata are less colorful and tube shaped. Uppers have the wide flaring peristome and colorful striped and splotches on the pitcher throat.

Here are 2 of my N. truncata plants:

trun1.sized.jpg

Mature specimen of N. truncata. Obtained through Mike Catalani.

trun2.sized.jpg

Juvenile plant of N. truncata from Petflytrap.

You can see major differences just from the age of the plants. So your plants may have different ages and therfore difference mature characteristics.

Back