What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. khasiana with no tendrils

i recently got my order from cooks today , one of the plant i ordered was a small n. khasiana . one odd thing about the plant is that it the pitchers have no tendrils , the pitchers are connected directly to the leaves instead . is is this normal , possibly a mutation or possibly it might be another plant , or is this what the plant does . its a small plant ( 4 inches in diameter ) and it only has 2 pitchers which are juvenile so probably its just stress or getting used to things but i don't know for sure .

beats me. . . but what else did you get?

So it really has NO tendrils, not even really short ones?

Not even short ones ! So what else did I get ? Let me see if I can remember at the top of my head " vft big mouth , 2 typical vft bulbs , a huge S. flava mixed , S. rubra rubra , D. rotundifolia , d. filiformis filiformis , d. filiformis tracyii , sensitive plant seeds , the N. khasiana , and he even gave me a nice sized Sarracenia oreophila for free . i'll try to get pics .

Hello,
I just visited his nursery today. Very nice I would say. In the front room to his tropicals, I think I saw 1 or 2 plants with no tendrils, and just pitchers, from the leaves. I wouldn't worry.
Kevin

Hmm that's odd. The only plant I am aware that "doesn't" produce any tendrils are N. mirabilis winged form and N. ampullaria which will sometimes send up basal pitchers with no viasable tendril or leaf.

this is really odd , i hope it recovers its not doing any better today , some leaves are starting to turn black
sad.gif
other then that i potted the otehr plants today and there , well , dormant
biggrin.gif

Well you must expect some leaf loss when your first get a Nepenthes from any growing climate other than your own. Give it some time and I'm sure you'll see more improvement. N. khasiana is very tough and will generally take anything that is thrown at it.

i found that my small rafflesiana offshoot has the same problem. the parent plant is normal. i guess it all has to do with age. i see pictures of seedlings that have pitchers like that. Zongyi

heres a pic of the n. khasiana , but not as horrible as when i got it in the beggining , i had to cut the other pitcher cuz they were rotting really badly :
n_khasiana.sized.jpg
as you can see on the unformed pitcher on the right , there is no tendril .

Yes that is how N. mirabilis 'winged' form looks like. I'd say it's just a freak growth. Let it adjust to your climate and I'm sure it'll bounce back.

Back