What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing Discovery

I have discoverd something very odd, wonderfull and unexpected.  When put into the dark under relativly dry conditions for 1-2 weeks, Neps. create a new off shoot.  When my N. ventricosa did this (a bit of a growing issue) I was surprised, but when my N. sanguniea did the same thing o_O no way it was just a coinsidence!  Unfortunetly, those are my only two plants and I can't test it further to see exactly what triggerd it, but I figure if anyone has some extra plants that they wouldn't mind experimenting with we could be onto something big.  At least, big as far as people who want young plants to grow multipull shoots early on.  

I'm sure you remember my panic after the insident a couple weeks back.  It was only yesterday that I cleaned off old dead leaves and discoverd that my N. sanguniea hadn't had stunted growth but was growing a new shoot insted of the old one.  This plant is a very young cutting, just 7 leaves ever in it's little existence judjung by the reminents on the staulk.  I've only had it since this fall.  The fact that it was enduced at the same time as my N. ventricosa into making a new basal shoot is just awsome to me, because I really hate to cut back single shoot plants
smile.gif

Thoughts?  Comments?  Snide remarks about this already being known and me being an idiot?  All welcome
biggrin.gif

I keep all of my neps in pretty dry conditions (like on my desk) and they're all growing basal shoots. I think it's probably more a product of plant maturity than being in the dark, as they all get morning sun.

So Darcie, have you cut off the little plantlet yet? I usually chop at around 4 leaves. Using regular nep cutting advice, I put the pots on top of my lights to keep the soil warm and induce roots.
tounge.gif

Why didn't I read this BEFORE I cut off the top of my single shoot nepenthes a day ago to try and induce basal shoots? ?
mad.gif

Happy growing, Neil

neil, how long was the shoot? There're other ways to induce a basal shoot, like bending the main vine over the edge of the pot so that the growing tip is lower than the medium.

Otherwise, see the portion that you cut off as a new cutting, a new plant!  
smile.gif

Yeah...my neph has lost its mind...it has 2 new plants emerging fron its base and about 3 shoots coming out of the main climbing stem though no picthers...not enough light right now I guess......

I'm gonna hack back some of my Nepenthes later this winter. Some are just very spindley and need new growing points activated and some just need to be cut, but generally if you want more basal shoots bend the stem or let it grow up high.

chop it off?! Heck no! I want bushy plants not vines. It can't be the age of the plant, these are babies. One is only a few months old.

Well that's why you cut Nepenthes, to gid RID of long vines.
wink.gif
hehe Resulting "stump" is going to be more bushy.

Does anyone know if it's the same ..how do I put this...if it's the same cause/effect to put the growing point below the top of the pot and to cut the vine to induce basal growth? I guess what I am asking has anyone done the first, got a basal, then cut the vine and gotr another basal?

Regards,

Joe

no, not yet, but the top accidently got snapped off my N. ventricosa so I guess we will fined out
smile.gif

Joe, not that I've seen. Mike Catalani had some N. x ventrata and a neat lowii hybrid I think it was lowii x eymae by the looks of it had their growing points upside down still making pitchers and no basal shoot were present that I could see. Is this what you wanted to know??

I was just wondering if the stimulus for making basals were different from each method, so you could get two basal starting at once. if you cut vine, it tends to start producing from the next lowest node, doesn't it?

Joe

Generally Yes Joe. Cytokinin produced in the roots travel up the stem and accumulate at the cut end because they can't go any further. This stimulates the closest node to initiate growth.

I have not tried it but IF you cut the top off and then bend the bottom piece over so the highest point is no longer the cut end. It may produce a lateral shoot closest to the new high point.

Tony

Back