What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken tobaica

Just got a N. tobaica red var. in. Looks great, only problem is the top portion about two leaves down is broke and came off.
Put it in high humidity, temp about 78-80, med light. Anything else? The pitchers had no water, which I filled to about 1/3. Cant really think of anything else to do.will it start to regrow from the top or what?

Most likely not. When I made cuttings from my N.ventricosa and N.tobaica, the growth ceased at the top but many of the dormant nodes began sprouting. You'll probably get many sprouts out the side which you can later cut and plant for yourself or trade with others.

Happy growing!
smile.gif

Did you keep the part that broke off? You should try to root that. Tobaica needs to be kept in close to 100% humidity to root. I kept mine under flourescent light. Mine, though, had a few roots attached already...Good luck!

Most definetly, keep that 2 node section! But like Dave said, 100% humdity is a MUST. Best way with 100% success in my expierence is to place in a plastic baggie closed up tight.

Also, N. tobiaca is a prolific "budder" it will shoot every which way with new dormant nodes that will be soon to sprout. My cutting of N. tobiaca (main plant died but I saved this piece) has 3 growing points on 1 piece of 7 cm tall original stem cutting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you keep the part that broke off? You should try to root that.

Duh?
tounge.gif

Why didn't I think of that?
biggrin.gif

It is always worth a try to root a tip that breaks off. Most often a tip cutting needs to be a bit longer then two nodes to take root, but its worth a shot. If you look at a Nep vine you can feel how the tip is very soft and pliable at the end and as you move back it becomes lingnified or more rigid. This usually happens by the third node or so. ANYWAY, I find that tip cuttings work best if you make it long enough to include the first lignified node...

As for the rest of the plant, I totally agree with everyone else. You will get new shoots from the lower nodes. Above each leaf is a dormant lateral bud and those buds will kick in when the tip of the vine has been removed.

Steve LaWarre
Grand Rapids, MI

Back