What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown neps

plant3.jpg

I got this one when it was near death. It has to be a Judith Finn. By the way, this plant is a monster. It is now putting out three to four, 4" pitchers by the month. It has almost completly covered the pot with leaves, it kinda hugs the container.
Anyway, just got back from home depot today for some crap for around the house, and came home with two more neps from gublers. These are by far a very different plant. Does anybody know what Gublers sells as their main Nep. hybrid? Or any idea which different ones they usually sell?

The main stock I believe is:

N. X coccinea
N. X gentle
N. X 'Miranda'
N. X 'Judith Finn'

There are probably some other ones, but these are the ones I've seen.  BTW, is that peristome really as black as it looks?

SF

Hello,
Gubler's sells several different hybrids, usually N. "maxima surprise" (a name I made up, because the only known parent is maxima), and N. x coccinea. A picture would be very helpful in identifying the plant. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ Jan. 05 2004,08:51)] BTW, is that peristome really as black as it looks?
Yes. There are a couple that are burgundy colored, but most are turning black, and ooze so much that it forms puddles underneath them (actually, if you look at the bottom of the pitcher itself, you can see droplets, and on the upside down pot directly under the pitcher you can see the drops collecting).

By the way, thanks for the quick answers, I guess its a guessing game. Pics probably wouldnt help at this small of a size.
sad.gif

That's a nice clone of Judith Finn. As I understand it, there are three clones of Judith Finn in TC, all originating from a lab in Florida.
Snowy Falcon listed most of the plants originating from another tc producer in Belgium. They have really attractive Nep hybrids but horrible labeling accuracy. They have a tendency to name the plants the same as the seedbearer (the female plant used to make the cross). Let's add to the list N. alata-which is actually N. alata x ventricosa-called N. ventrata, and N tobaica-which it is not but appears to be a hybrid of tobaica x ventricosa.
The N. 'Miranda' is the plant erroneously called maxima, but almost for certain is the hybrid of N. maxima x N. Mixta.
Hope this has been helpful.
Trent

Cool pic. I love the coloration. I believe some Lowe's has ventricosa hybrids as well.

gublers also carries some hybrid called n. x ventrata , n. x holland hybrid , and n. x velvet , theres lots more too .

Gublers yeah been throght this before its hard to say they get in alot of Hybrid's i have been told they Once has N. x velvet in at one time but i think most of them are Maxma hybrids Good luck !
smile.gif

I would love that Judith Finn clone. The spathulata is really noticable in the peristome. Unfortunately the Home Depots in this area don't have Gublers; they have "Lil Pot of Horrors".
Thanks,

Joe

"Lil Pot of Horrors". Ahh i remeber that brand hehe i use to get it from Osh! how fun
smile.gif

they never have those other cool brands of cp's over here , everyplace has been taken over by gublers , you'll never see a booman floral , botanical wonders , lil pot of horrors , or bloom rite cp over here
sad.gif
, at least i'm hoping my nursery will start geting booman floral , bloom rite and maybe even cook's soon .

Back