What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. alata

I have had this nep for about six months and it was in a 6" container (which is way too small for it, she is about 2' tall), and I decided to transplant it today. I don't know if I got a bit ahead of myself, but I couldn't divide it, it was very tightly wrapped in the soil. So I just decided to transplant it and hopefully not traumatize it too much. How crucial is it not to disturb their root system? I am thinking of taking some cuttings just in case the pride of my cp collection doesn't make it.

It is often very difficult to remove old potting mix. If the root ball was real tight and healthy then simply putting it into a bigger pot and surrounding the old root ball with fresh mix is probably fine. Your correct that it is best not to go crazy trying to remove old mix and damaging the roots. It is often unavoidable to cause some broken roots so after potting the plant should be kept in a high moisture lower light situation for a couple weeks to recouperate. Keep an eye on the new growth for wilting which would indicate moisture stress from damaged roots.

At some point you could do cuttings to start some new plants. This will help keep the old plant from getting that long bare vine at the base and give you some new starts to play with.

Tony

Sometimes it helps to run water over the roots gently. But I agree that maybe it's best not to mess with it, and keep a small ball of soil. I have set back quite a few plants by not being careful when repotting.

Back