What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey everyone!
I took a few photos of some Neps grown here at the Frederik Meijer Gardens, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  This also serves as a preview of what the Erie Carnivorous Plant Society will see on their visit.  
The curator of the carnivorous plants here is Steve LaWarre, and I, Amori Watanabe, am his helper.  
Note that I am a volunteer here and also received permission to post these pics on this forum.  I hope you like what you see!
smile.gif

N_bicalcarata_big.jpg

This is our big N. bicalcarata.  As you can see, it's starting to climb.  This plant hogs 60% of the ants in the greenhouse, as well as the attention of disrespectful visitors who like to break off pitcher buds
mad.gif
.  Either way, it's a really nice plant.

N_bicalcarata_intermediate_pitcher.jpg

This is a very nice intermediate pitcher that opened on the big plant you see above.  You can see by the coiled tendril and shape of the pitcher that this is an intermediate, along with the fact that it still has slight wings.  Luckily, the ants you can see didn't bite me.  I think they're too constantly inebriated to do so  
laugh.gif

N_bicalcarata_upper_pitcher.jpg

Oh my gosh!  This is what Steve and I said when we saw this upper pitcher once it fully opened.  As you can see, the tendril had successfully grabbed a support bar of the greenhouse.  On the right hand side you can see that another tendril has made its journey around the same bar.  You can see part of the arid garden in the background.

N_bongso.jpg

This is the first nice lower pitcher the N. bongso plant in the greenhouse has made.  This little plant has been vining all over the place for a long time, and it finally decided to put out bigger vines and pitchers.  You can see from this pic that it is still a long way from a mature pitcher.  That is an upper pitcher in the background on the right.

N_lowii.jpg

This small pitcher was developed by the only N. lowii plant we have.  You can clearly see the exudates and the bristles on the underside of the lid - yum
tounge.gif
!  I don't know what form it is, but it's really nice, especially due to its dark colour.  This pitcher is about 3" tall.  We expect the next pitcher to be about 6" (1:1 ratio pitcher:tendril).

N_maxima_Pierenensis.jpg

This plant was formally a long, thin vine (used for propagation), and as soon as we found basal growth, we hacked it off!  The basal rosette of this N. maxima 'Pieriensis' measures over a foot in diameter, and the pitcher seen here is about 8" tall.  A beaut.

N_maxima_SGS.jpg

This N. maxima 'SGS' plant is another proof of beauty in the maxima family.

N_rafflesiana_pitchers.jpg

These pitchers grow on two plants that are starting to climb.  Not the biggest N. rafflesiana pitchers we've had, but a very nice example.

N_truncata_plants.jpg

These N. truncata monsters are just amazing (the biggest female having been donated by Bill baumgartl).  All these plants (2 males, 2 females) have flowered and produced copious seed, and have now recuperated from that ordeal.  The females are much bigger than the males (though I don't think this is significant) and are making huuuuge pitchers (below).  Ants love these plants as well.  Really big plants!

N_truncata_pitcher.jpg

The biggest Nepenthes pitcher I have ever seen and/or held.  This N. truncata pitcher measures around 18" tall and was produced by the bigger female.

End of Part 1.

Cool plants! nice photos. That bical is cool, maybe you'll get some upper pitchers soon

Great collection, Amori! Keep the pictures coming! That truncata is crazy! My uncle lives in Grand Rapids, so if I'm out that way, I'll check your place out!

Capslock

Part 2

N_ventricosa_cv_Toilet_Bowl.jpg

A very interesting plant.  The scrambling vines of this cultivar 'Toilet Bowl' don't produce pitchers unless the tendrils come to rest on a surface.  So this is one of the few pitchers on that plant.  Not the biggest pitcher we've had, at around 5" (the biggest was around 8" tall).  The peristome is thick, brittle, and elegantly wavy.  This looks a lot like the Japanese ventricosa clones or the one sold as 'clone D' by Exotica Plants (Mansell).

N_truncata_x_veitchii.jpg

What can I say?  This N. truncata x veitchii is just gorgeous.  All the previous pitchers looked 80% truncata and the rest veitchii.  This pitcher has justified it's veitchii-ness.  The peristome is a delicious-looking gold with faint stripes and makes an upside-down heart-shaped opening.  About a foot tall.

N_x_mixta_var_superba.jpg

This N. x mixta var. 'Superba' plant makes huge pitchers!  Not only are the tendrils long, but the pitchers reach about 16"!  The one on the lower left is about that big.  A weed, yet very nice.

N_x_edinensis_upper_pitchers.jpg

Not very well known, this hybrid, N. x edinensis, is a weed.  Once it vines, it vines.  No more basal rosettes, nothing.  Just vines.  New shoots become vines.  You can probably imagine the trouble we will have when one whole side of the greenhouse is covered with this and the N. x wrigleyana.  Whats more, it was pollinated (yes, it's a girl) by the darn ants with N. gracilis, and when I cut the spike off two days ago, poof!  A cloud of seed that landed all over!  I've always wanted Nepenthes seed to be viable, but not this time.
It even grows in constant humidity levels of less than 40% i.e. in my living room.  Cuttings, anyone?

N_x_ventrata.sized.jpg

A very nice N. x ventrata, this plant makes pitchers about 8" tall.  We have managed to cross it (well, actually, the ants did) with N. truncata and have some seedlings.  This should result in a simple but nice highland (didn't germinate in lowland conditions) hybrid when mature.

N_x_wrigleyana_upper_pitchers.jpg

Growing alongside the N. x edinensis, this white clone of N. x wrigleyana has proved to be almost as weedy.  The pitchers are more interesting though, at least.  These are just 2 of the many pitchers this one plant is making.  We're still waiting for the red clones to vine.

I hope you enjoyed this mini tour of the Frederik Meijer Gardens' Nep collection
biggrin.gif

Many thanks to Steve LaWarre!

Shokuchuu - Japanese for "insectivorous", BTW.
Amori Watanabe

Thanks alot to Shokuchuu and Steve for the really wonderful photos and guide around the cp house. The collection is fantastic! I only asked Steve this morning where the gardens were,.....
It certainly puts my small collection to shame. I just wish I lived nearby and could visit,..even volunteer!!,.. unfortunately I'm many miles away in Singapore. How I wish we had something like this in Singapore.
sad.gif

Happy growing, Neil

Thats a great photo tour-thanks for showing us around!
I'm glad to see my truncata x vetchii will not be "ugly" forever! That's a beautiful pitcher!

Fantastic photos! Great to see nice healthy large plants.

Tony

Those are awesome pics! If I'm ever in your area (very unlikely), I'm coming to see your plants!!

SF

Nice job Amori!

I have to let you all know that Amori has been volunteering with the FMG CP collection for about a year and a half. He is awsome! Amori truly has the addiction. And he helps make these plants look great. I trust very few people with the care of the collection and Amori's help is fantastic.

Nice Job Buddy.

Steve LaWarre

Amori and Steve,
Someone once said(I think it was Steven Stewert?) that when he was growing several plants of the same species, that they often all flowered at the same time(though they may have been the only neps flowering then). Has that been your experience, especially with those excellent truncata?

Regards,

Joe

Very cool and great work both of you!

Andre

Amori and Steve,
Those are beautifully grown Neps. How about telling us a little about you folks grow them there-potting mix, temp ranges, humidity control, watering schedules. It's always interesting to hear the methods and techniques used by successful growers.
Trent

Hey Joe

Yes, the N. truncatas all flowered at the same time. Another one that flowered at roughly the same time is the big N. x ventrata. The N. x edinensis flowers at the same time as N. gracilis (about 2 months ago). Our N. x mixta var. 'Superba' flower at the same time too, and have just finished.

Good Growing!

Amori

First off, a big welcome to the forums to Amori and Steve L! Glad to have you both aboard.
biggrin.gif
Looks like you both will be great contributors.

Amori, those are spectacular plants and photos! What a treat to see them all! Thank you for sharing that. It is really wonderful when people share pics of gardens, greenhouses, bogs and native environment so those of us who aren't free to travel around, can have the opportunity to "experience" these places.

Those are some spectacular plants! You are lucky to be able to have a hand in their care.

I love that "Toilet Bowl" pitcher but...what a name!
wow.gif

Thanks Amori! Any time you want to post more, feel free!

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne

Thank you so much for the kind words!  Yes, I am lucky to have a hand in their care.  Who would've thought my father's job would bring me to the one city (and out of it
sad.gif
) where there is the biggest collection of CP in the old midwest?  Thanks again!!

Amori

Hey Trent
We'll fill you in on that later...

Good Growing!

Amori

I just can't wait to see this collection. I wanted to go to the grand opening of the cp house but I couldn't make it and I have been longing to see this collection ever since. I would urge anyone who can make this trip to join us. We're going to have a great time.

WOW!! Simply amazing, superbly grown plants, and superbly done pics!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif
Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to the answer to trent's question!!
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 08 2004,04:47)]Amori and Steve,
Those are beautifully grown Neps. How about telling us a little about you folks grow them there-potting mix, temp ranges, humidity control, watering schedules. It's always interesting to hear the methods and techniques used by successful growers.
Trent
Thanks Trent,

To start off, we use Reverse Osmosis water on all the CP, I have RO faucets in all the production houses as well as in the CP house so we are lucky to have unlimited GOOD QUALITY water. The plants are watered everyday for the most part, but you have to remember that they are all in greenhouses with very good air circulation and non of the neps sit in trays.

The humidity is about 70% in the production houses. We have supplemental humidification in the CP house so that room stays at about 80% humidity. The collection is kept in three greenhouses:

The public CP display house: 60-68F at night and 73-85F during the day. We rotate plant into display from greenhouse 1 and 2.

Greenhouse 1: This is the warmest GH so the lowland plants are grown here. It stays between 75-80 at night and 78-85 during the day.

Greenhouse 2: This is the coolest GH so the highland plants are grown here, it is kept between 58-63 at night and 68-75 during the day.

It is important to note that the highland Neps hang right below the large exhaust fans, so cool air falls right down the glass wall and on to the plants. This side of the GH most likely dips into the mid 50's at night. I think the trick to growing nice highlanders is maintaining a difference between day and night temperatures. If we can keep the night temperatures about 15-20 degrees cooler then the day temperatures, the plants respond very well. Also, GH 1 & 2 are production houses so there are a lot of non-cp in them as well.

This is our basic Nep mix:

2 parts LF sphagnum
2 parts fine orchid bark
2 parts sphagnum peat moss
1 part charcoal

Amori has come up with a good mix for some of the more sensitive Neps in which he adds sponge rock and a bit more LF sphagnum to the above recipe. There are also some Nepenthes, like bicalc that we only grow in 100% LF sphagnum.

It’s hard to say one mix is good for everything, but the basic mix above has worked very well for neps in our growing conditions. I have always said that 10 good Nepenthes growers will have 20 good soil recipies…

Well, I hope that helps, I’m sure Amori will have some more to add.

Steve LaWarre

Back