What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

Hello,
My N. ampullaria is not doing well! What happened is it was exposed to very cold temperatures for 2 days, and now the growth point has been dying back! Its a fairly small plant (2 inch leaves, 1/4 inch pitchers) and doesnt have any dormant buds along the small stem. What can I do to save it? It has 2 small leaves left that haven't died yet. Thanks,
Kevin

Bright indirect light, high humidity and warm warm warm... steady 75-80 minimum. And cross your fingers.

Hey,
Thanks Tony. I have had it in my lowland terrarium near the heater, which is perfect, and bright flourescent lights. I hope it will make it. Thanks,
Kevin

How cool did it get? I have seen neps bounce back from some pretty harsh treatment. If your plant continues to decline, don't toss it for a while. You will somtimes get a basal sprout from a nep you thought was toast!

Steve LaWarre

My N. ampullaria I got form Catalani got a really bad fungus gnat infestation that killed the foot tall parent vine...all basal shoots were dead except for one...I luckily saved it, they guys are pretty tough considering mine had no roots, just a rotten stem, now it's a 9inch diameter rossette with 4 cm tall pitchers. Good luck! PS- if the growing point continues to rot, clip it down to fresh tissue and treat like a cutting.

I seem to have the same problem as sarracenialuver, I just got a N mirabilis echinostoma bareroot. I had it in a small heated tank but decided to remove it to a windowsill to get more light. Well all the leaves wilted in the past few days and the growth point is dieing too. I'm guessing since it was a bareroot plant and the sudden drop in humidity and temp shock it. Right now the temp is around 65F do you think it's going to make it?

IceDragon it depends greatly on just how dessicated it got. N. mirabilis seedlings are particularly susceptible to moisture stress because of the very thin broad leaves.

There seems to be a point when something like this happens that the plant will either make it or not make it. Once that line is crossed there is little that can be done. Same suggestions.. Keep the humidity very high, the light indirect but bright and keep it warm. It may sprout a lateral bud if it wasn't overly damaged. In my experience N. mirabilis is much less tolerant to cool temperature than N. ampullaria. 65 is too cold. Try and get it into the mid 70s minimum.

T

Hey,
It got down to Yikes! 28*F or so! But then would warm back up to 32*F during the day. Dustin, I did cut it down to fresh tissue yesterday. Thanks again,
Kevin

Hehe I have N. mirabilis growing next to N. villosa.
tounge.gif
I feel like such a dwit. I'm surprized it's living. lol.

Kevin, it frosted? Jeez, ur a daredevel!

Well I was talking to NepsAroundTheHouse and he said that he is growing his outdoors and that they're doing fine even when the temp drops down to the 40s and 50s sooo.... I don't know whats going on with mine...

Hey,
Yea....it did. I'm not happy about it either
wink.gif
Well, heres the whole story.
I went to Cook's Cp's in Oregon about....2 1/2 weeks ago with my grandparents, maybe less. I got a N. sibuyanensis, N. ampullaria, and a few others. When I got back, I put the neps into a enclosed part of her greenhouse (its very nice). Its heated and everytuing. So, I noticed that my N. ampullaria had fallen out of its pot a little bit, so I took the plant next to the potting area (near the door....) and put it back into place, just then my Grandma called me inside (it was like 11 at night) to come inside, I left it nexty to the door, with the door cracked open about a inch, I didn't close it all the way. So, it got a nice freeze, and the not enclosed part of the greenhouse too. The nexty day I never got around to go back out to the greenhouse, and review my plants, and I forgot about it. I found it the other day, and then I went home and put it into my lowland chamber. So, then its how I have decribed. Thats my story.
Kevin

Back