What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bummer

Well, my mom did a good job babysitting my plants last week.  Didn't kill any depsite her well known black thumb.  Unfortunetly her curse did manage to result in the lighting crashing onto my vetricosa and the tip snapping off... I've replanted the tip in the dirt next to the parent plant.  If it takes I'll have a N. vetricosa to give away... anyhow, what can I expect off this species?  Will it make a new shoot or fork out on me?  
smile.gif
thanks

BTW, it's baby shoot is up to 7 juvinile pitchures now
biggrin.gif
and my N. Sanguinea is swelling it's first pitchure since I got it as a cutting
biggrin.gif

Did you do the cutting procedures on the ventricosa tip you planted? (rooting hormone, cuts, etc?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Jan. 11 2004,01:33)]Did you do the cutting procedures on the ventricosa tip you planted? (rooting hormone, cuts, etc?
no. I don't do hormon treatments... cuts? is their some weird extra thing neps need? Every other cp I've ever propigated I've just ripped off a chunk and put it in the soil, lol.

Hi darcie,
A similar accident happened to me once with a small ventricosa. The tip snapped off, and though I put it in live sphagnum moss both the cutting and the plant died. A larger plant would probably do better in this situation, though.
Peter

Darcie,

For best success with cuttings of nepenthes, it's recommended that you make some shallow, 1/4 inch vertical slits at the base of the cutting (just through the outer skin), and dip in some rooting hormone. The cuts are just to expose more area to the hormone. It's conceivable that it would work fine without this, but I'd do it just to make sure. You can still do it.

Capslock

I've had 1/9 success rate without the slits and 5/5 with the slits, so I HIGHLY reccomend putting slits in your cuttings. The one surviving cutting without the slits is stunted and starting to rot.

SF

Well, the cutting didn't get any special treatment yet or anything, but it's alive and growing still so I guess that is good.

Back