What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. kampotiana

Hi,

I have a couple hybrids that have N. kampotiana (N. x Andrewnsis, N. x splendiana), but have heard almost nothing about the actual species. I can't find a photo of one anywhere. Is anyone growing this? Is it called something else now? Do you have a photo?

Thanks!
Capslock

We've got one female plant of true N. kampotiana. There is considerable debate over whether or not this is a true species, or just a form of N. anamensis. It has even been suggested that it's a natural hybrid between thorelii and anamensis. Back in the 1970's one hundred plants were brought in from the Elephant mountains and identified by Bruce Sutton as N. kampotiana. They flowered and hybrids were made. The "Splendiana" cross was a male maxima crossed onto a female kampotiana. these hybrids are very vigorous, unlike kampotiana itself, which is a bit difficult. Most of the plants are long gone, and it was later discovered that kampotiana has a dry season rest period, and most plants were over-watered. Starting in December, Michelle has been watering our plant once a month, and it is very healthy, but slow growing. We are assuming the dry season would be late winter into spring, as orchids from the same region need a similar dry rest period.
The ICPS database does not recognize kampotiana, so all the hybrids using these plants are described as anamensis.

Hope this has been helpful.
Trent

Wow, thanks Trent! That's more info on N. kampotiana than I've ever seen. I'm intrigued that there is a nepenthes species that is so obscure and anonymous. I think I must get one! LOL!

Capslock

Back