What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what this is...

• Thread starter Borneo
  • Start date
Hi,

Can anyone guess what this is:

redplant.jpg

In case you can't tell from the photo, the pitcher is 9" (21cm) tall.  Guesses anyone?  

I'm afraid a correct guess doesn't win you the plant   
biggrin.gif

N. densiflora? Quite a waist on the pitcher though, and not much teeth on the peristome. It's a beauty none the less.

Regards,

Christer

Good try Christer, but the plant isn't from Sumatra and furthermore the stems are hairy.  Try again!  
biggrin.gif

Oh, yes and it's highland Dustin...

Petiolata? (based on memory of a drawing from Danser's Monograph)

Trent

ok Ill try a few guesses...

N. diatas form
N. bongso variant
N. x alisputrana??

no no no.. that's the super rare redplant.jpg!!

It's not some strange hybrid like highland truncata x alata 'a red form', is it, lol?
I was thinking petiolata also for a sec, but it does not look anything like the pic from the 1996 CPN.
Those little spurs on the bottom of the peristome(sorry if I don't know the term) remind me of N. singalana, but I have never seen one so big.

Regards,

Joe

Joe, if I recall right, that picture in the CPN was of a young plant or young ground shoot. Rob's picture looks to me like a full grown, mature plant. You know how peristomes "embellish" themselves as a Nep gets up in size and strength...
I'm sticking with N. petiolata. My second guess would be a red form of burkei.

Trent

Hey Rob,

Does it have wicked long tendrils? Like a plant potted in a basket is hanging 4' above the floor and all the pitchers are resting on the ground?

Trent,

You could be right. I found that pic on Phill's site and it was a small plant, maybe a little more advanced than the ones Tony has.

Regards,

Joe

A giant form of N. alata?

Looking through some transcripts on talks (on the ICPS website) I think Trent is spot on. Will there be a additional photos of that "amazingly hairy, and blood-red Nepenthes.."?

Mr. Paroubek, wasn't the only specimen of N. redplant.jpg lost in the Bermuda Triangle in 1934?

Regards,

Christer

Hi,

Well done Trent, as Christer says, "spot on". N. petiolata it sure is!  I don't know if this species has been grown to this size before.  I believe Danser only had a single leaf and pitcher to describe it from, so the inflorescence is not properly recorded (I have some habitat photos of seed heads only).

There will be whoops of joy from here when it flowers!  N. petiolata is a very interesting species in that like N. truncata, it's difficult to associate it with any other species in the Philippines. The pitchers have a very unusual texture and blood-red coloration and even the tendrils are hairy.

You mentioned N. burkei, I'll post some photos of that species soon and you'll see the differences are marked.  For one thing N. burkei isn't hairy but you probably couldn't see the velvety fuzz covering the N. petiolata pitcher and tendril in the photo.

Here's another photo.  Please ignore the miserable tousled old guy on the left, that photo was taken before I had my first coffee of the day  
tounge.gif

petiolata.jpg

BTW, sorry if this posting ignores any other correct guesses but I'm having to write it off line and upload a bit later

Very nice as usual. It will be interesting to see how the seedlings develop as they get older. They are fairly uniform but there is deffinately some differences in coloration with some having more of a green background color ranging all the way to pinkish red. Some of it is perhaps the less than ideal light we have had this past growing season. Anyway.. here is a picture of a couple 3" plants with 1" pitchers.

NpetiolataBECR.jpg

Tony

Rob's photo reminded me of the botanical illustration in Danser's book.
Is petiolata only found on Mount Legaspi? What's the approximate altitude range? I would guess it grows typically highland, which makes it problematic for those of us in the south Florida lowlands.

Trent

I thought it was found on Mnt. Hinong Hinong(I am sure I butchered that spelling).
I am not trying to insult this great plant, but it does kind of look like(especially in the second photo) a dark red N. x ventrata, with which you can see why some thought a alata hybrid or red burkei.

Regards,

Joe

Wow, nice plant!! Is that a N. tenuis behind you vining like nuts? I am thinking it may be something else, but I am drawing a blank on the name... also, what kind of plant is the pitcher on the bottom right? It's wonderful!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

N. petiolata comes from Mt. Hilong Hilong near Legaspi.  It's a nasty logged out mountain to hike through, with mostly secondary grwoth and lots of rattan.  The summit area is however untouched which is where the Nepenthes are.

I'd have to go through my records for the precise altitude Trent, but it's about 1,500m or so.  We shall try it in the lowland nurseries and see how it goes.  We've got a new website nearly ready and that's the sort of data we want to put on it.

Tony, your plants are typical of the coloration at that age.  So far we have raised about 12 plants of different clones to a larger size and they are all uniform red, there doesn't seem to be any variation at all in coloration.

Lithopsman (is that your real name??), I wish it was N. tenuis!  Happens to be a man - made hybrid that I like very much.  Anyone like to guess the identity?  Here it is:

pacman.jpg

And it's no use looking for a clue in the filename
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the pitcher just sneaking in on the right is my absolute favorite man-made bybrid but I'll save a photo for later!

Back