What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting a N. truncata

Have I posted a pic of my N. truncata before? Anyway, here's the latest pitcher:
N.%20truncata%203.JPG

I think it's time to repot it as it's in the same 4inch pot it came in. The problem is, how do I get it into a larger pot with that giant, rigid pitcher hanging over the side? I suppose I could put it near the edge of the pot, but then the whole plant is at the edge of the pot.

Capslock

I got a 400 watt MH light, and a wire rack from Costco, and put it in my dining room. So, household temperatures. Actually, it gets a bit warm under the lights - maybe 75-80 during the day, 60 degrees at night. I probably average 65% humidity. So nothing special. It's just a hardy plant!

Capslock

Depends if it is in need of a transplant. Roots might not be near the bottom of the pot. If they are then I guess you should repot it. You could check the roots if you wanted, but if it was me, I'd leave it alone. Looks nice and happy. Wouldn't want to set root disturbance on it. Up to you though really, if you want it in a bigger pot or whatever.

I agree with Dustin. Unless the potting mix is breaking down, I'd leave it alone. We've noticed that truncata does not have a large root system in general, and seems to not mind being a little under-potted.
Trent

Heck, I'll leave it alone then! I figured with that pitcher size, it would need a bigger pot! This pitcher is at least an inch and a half bigger than the last, and I figured the next one might just tip it over!

Capslock

I have had to set my N. truncata into bigger pots to keep them from tipping. Usually the pitchers do a good job of supporting the plant since they usually rest on the ground. I also agree that N. truncata doesn't seem to have the largest root system but instead makes a tight wad of roots in my experience. So it doesn't mind being in a small pot. I have had 12"+ diameter plants in 4 inch pots and they seemed happy.

When it does come time to repot you can sometimes tilt the pitcher horizontal so it rests on the top of the new potting mix if it won't reach over the edge of the pot. There isn't much else you can do except cut them off or bury them (which I prefer not to do). Potting the plant off center is a possibility but usually my plants have pitchers all around so this doesn't help.

Tony

Ah Tony covered it all. I was going suggest potting up next to the rim so that one hangs over.

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

burying the lower part of the pitchers in the new soil works quite well for me. The plant itself might not look too nice due to this, but this is the only drawback from my experience. You might wait until the plant is even large and the new pot will fit without the need to bury the pitchers. Repotting plants about every two years is beneficial from my experience. Some nutrients seem to be in the soil which I'm not able to supply them in another way.

Cheers Joachim

I would bury a cup or a small pot in the soil next to the plant in the bigger pot and let the pitcher hang down into it. Then when that pitcher finally dies you can pull the cup out and fill in the hole.

Whoa, this is a blast from the past! That was nearly a year ago, and it is with regret that I have to disclose that this was one of the very few neps that have died in my care. It was those darn little white thrip/fly/hellbeast things. They swarmed it, and I had to put it out of it's misery. There was an ebay auction for some tiny TC truncatas a while back for about $5 bucks, so I just bought a new one (which is now growing nicely), and retired this one. It's too bad because it really liked the conditions it was in and was growing quickly.

Capslock

Oops, sorry about that. I was searching for truncata threads. I got this window mixed up with the windows I had current posts in.
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry to hear about your N. truncata.
Whitefly LOVES to attack N. truncata and trunc hybrids. Not to get on a Whitefly rant again (see Griffin's post about pests). Our Fl Dept of Agriculture requires us to spray for pest control, and they prefer us to use Talstar. It's supposed to be better environmentally than most insecticides - and it doesn't stink! Sometimes the Orthene is so rank we can't stand to go in the greenhouse for days. Plus, Talstar doesn't leave a unsightly residue on the leaves. The only negative is the price- it's costly... but a little goes a long way.

Trent,
I stopped at two places yesterday(Home Depot and a Earl May Garden Center)-no Orthene, Malathion or anything close.
Oh and you were right-they are all on the N. 'Ile de France'....not a single thing evident on other plants on in the tank. I will bag it today, whether I can find something or not.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
I'll pm you a nursery supply outfit here in south Florida that ships all over the country. They have all of the pesticides mentioned above and in your thread.

Trent

Many will argue that this isn't a good thing to do, but it seems to work for me. I either wait until the plant is large enough that you won't have to worry about that as it will hang over the side of the larger pot. Or you can just plant it at an angle, and let it grow for a while, it will straighten out eventually.

You can also just bury the pitcher in the medium, and then digit out once it dies, and fill in the hole with medium.

That's what i do at least...

Back