What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very nice bical. Now I have to get mine to grow bigger
smile.gif

Gee Thanks Rob!
smile.gif
I dont do anything special for it..just lots of water and humidity. Plus a nice steady temp range of 81F down to 76F at night.

Nick, big pots make big bicals.
wink.gif

Holey &(W#&#! And I thought 1 new leaf a week was fast (on a N. ventricosa).

Swords... I hate to mention it, but did that bug juice get onto the rest of the plants or the roots? I just have to say something about that because in my expereance that stuff is loaded with live biomatter and it's not too hard for me to see some of it deciding to eat the plants roots. In my own experience, any splashed juice, even if quickly wiped up will cause infection in whatever part of the plant it gets into. I had to cut off a bunch of infected leaves on my N. sanguniea and spray it down with fungiside when it got knocked over one day. It took about a week for the infection to start, but my plant was small enough so I know the leaves I lost were the ones that got yucky :p set it back a while too, I'm just now getting my first pitchure since the accident. I also have lost pitchures on my N. ventricosa when they slosh up over the edge. When they start to melt down I cut back to just above good flesh and it usually stops it, but I've got a few 1/2 pitchures that are almost a year old (as 1/2 a trap) on that plant, lol. Anyhow, I definetly recomend draining the traps before transplant and flushing the whole plant off aftwards.

... I have not had to transplant yet... should I wait untill the roots start to poke out the bottom?

Beautiful bicalcarata, Dustin. (as well as the other plants.)

Where would you put one where it would get such temps and humidity anyway? They sure look cool, though I don't think I would be able to get my parents to give up a corner of the living room for it either.

Hi Dustin:

Wonderful plant. I hope you don't mind me asking the same old question. How warm is it where your bical grows and how low the temperatures get. The reason why i am asking this question is because where i live, it gets too cold, but there are some cp growers who claim they can grow bicals in this weather. daytime temp 75-80 nighttime temps down to 50-55 F. in winter. Summer daytime temps 85-100F nighttime temps 68-72 F. Of course there is more cold weather than hot weather in my area. That's why i am still skeptical on growing bicals.

Thanks and i look forward to your reply.

Gus

Nflytrap, It needs a very large space in which to live. Of course when it's a seedling it'll be fine in a terrarium for a few months.
wink.gif

Howdy Agustin, lol nope, I get the same old questions and just keep on typing.
smile.gif
Temperatures average around 80 in the day to 75F at night. Supposedly if temperature drop into the low 50's high 40's the plant will most likely die. If you can get at LEAST 65 to70F at night and up to 80 during the day I'm sure it would be fine. Your summer temperatures sound fine as long as humidity is high.

Back