What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnats

I think it takes a 5 day period for the adults to emerge and buzz around. If you can keep removing the adults as fast as they emerge you can elimate the population that way. If no new eggs are laid the larvae will eventually be all metamorphosised into adults and you shouldn't have any new infestations.

Maybe it is a different kind of pest, I have not seen any gnats buzzing around for quite a while (definitely more than five days).

I doubt that. If they are small,whitish, and quick they are fungus gnat larvae, the adults you saw earlier were dead giveaways too. Give them a few more days, I'm sure you'll soon be blessed with more adults.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (trashcan @ Feb. 07 2004,16:31)]Hello all,

When I originally noticed these pests, there were a couple (literally) gnats flying around, so I assumed they had just started reproducing. Now there are no flying gnats, but _tons_ of the little white specks crawling around, especially in my campanulata's pot.
sad.gif
. Maybe it is something else? Is it possible to have so many larvae and no adults? I only see three fungus gnats that were caught by my Ping.

I will try later to take a picture of the larvae, but I think they are too small for my camera.
one adult.... hundreds of eggs... I just now got real fungi gnats in my pots. The outdoor plants picked them up and now that my ping has it's first carniviours leaf since last summer it has absorbed the adults (Good gosh, it had just opend and it already had all the adults stuck to it, lol, good plant, yes).... So yah, I saw my first true larve the other day... o_O that is not what has been living with my VFTs! Now I'm back to the question... what the HECK are these little near microscopic critters that like my VFT's nector and left over insect remains? They are like 1 mm long and 1/4mm wide with a little divition between a head and the rest of it. They are grey, and that is all I can see. They do not bounce. The almost look to move on a billion little legs, but since I can't see legs, only their movement I don't know for sure. I don't see any silvery trails like I would if they were scraping a cell layer off my plant.... o_O are their any super tiney free living flatworms that move into CP pots? They sort of move like a planairea(sp?)

Back