What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help me in identifying this nep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
unknown_FEFnep1.jpg

unknown_FEFnep3.jpg

unknown_FEFnep.jpg

I just bought this plant;However, there is no name given to it.
From my guess, it is either a N. mixta or a N Gentle.
The peristome is deep purple and quite flared.
Can someone help me to identify this plant?

(Cindy : I hope its ok i borrowed your pics)

It is not N.'Gentle', and not pure 'Mixta', but likely a Mixta hybrid or a maxima hybrid. There's so many crosses along these lines its hard to say for sure.

I saw your thread on the Singapore BG cool house. I hope you folks can get together with them and put together a Nepenthes Garden there. From what I saw, the cool house is not very cool, and wouldn't attempt any highland Neps unless night temperatures could be lowered consistently to 10 degrees C. With all that humidity and mist, I would think lowland and intermediate species would thrive under the existing set of conditions, as well as some of the classic hybrids. Superbly grown specimens of N. merrilliana, N. northiana, N. sumatrana, N. truncata, N. bicalcarata, lowland forms of N. veitchii, not to mention the indigenous species like ampullaria, rafflesiana, gracilis, mirabilis would make a fantastic display. I hope you folks can pull it off. Good luck!

Trent

Hard to say for me. I noticed that Darlingtonia was present, and they need cool root temps, at least. The brown unidentified nep looked like a brown sanguinea or a hybrid between that and ramispina. It looks like a great set-up, no matter where the temperature range ends up.

Regards,

Joe

Trent: thanks for your advice.
S'pore BG's purpose of setting up the cool house is to replicate the conditions of the highland tropical rainforest; something like Mt Kinabalu I guess; although I have not been to Mt Kinabalu yet, I guess our cool house is still not cold enough to accomodate the ultra highlanders. But it should be able to accomodate normal highlanders. As for the Bical, I think it may be too cold for it. Maybe we will offer them some advice on improvements like what neps to bring in and where to order from, since their present collection looks rather dull. Do drop by S'pore BG if you were to come S'pore.

That would be great if you could guide them in plant selection for a Nepenthes collection. Day/Night temperature difference is the real trick for most highlanders. With days of 20 degrees C, if they get a night temp drop of ten degrees C, it opens up a whole new group of species to grow.
Good luck and Good Growing.

Trent
Boca Raton, Florida

Moving to the ID forum, seems to be an ID thread to me. So here we go! BTW nice plant!
wink.gif
Definetly a hybrid with mixta in it....for some odd reason I was thinking N. x mixta X N. x tiveyi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back