What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with N. sibuyanensis

Dear all,

I've got some weird problems with my N. sibuyanensis: somehow its tendrils turn pitch black and rot away when the pitchers are about 5mm tall. I really don't why since the overall growth of the plant is everything but abnormal and it seems to be happy with the provided conditions.

Anybody had this problem before? The plant hasn't produced one dang pitcher since I got it about 6 months ago (besides those which rot away before their time has come)...

Thanks in advance!

Can you share some information on the conditions it is in? What kind of humidity, day and night temperatures, and potting media And how consistent are the conditions? This information will help others diagnose your problem more easily.

Pat

Sure  
wink.gif
 Here we go:

Humidity: 85-100%
Day temperature: around 80 F
Night temperature: around 70 F
Potting media: peat moss, charcoal, perlite, shredded cork.

The conditions mentioned above are pretty stable though the average temperature can change quite a bit during the summertime.

My plants are grown under very bright lights though the N. sibuyanensis is located in a shadier position.

My best guess would be the night time temperatures may not be cool enough. But, I have been told that N. sibuyanensis will grow well as an intermediate, so I could be wrong. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will come along soon.

Good luck,
Pat

Shouldn't be the night temperatures since I grow some highlanders in the same terrarium and all of them seem to like it just fine (or at least they got used to my conditions...). But what do I know?

Thanks anyway,

Stefan

Hi all:

When you say "other highlanders" which ones you are referring to? Ventricosa for example is not a true highlander, it is more like an intermediate. A true highlander: " muluensis" , "rajah", Lowii etc.

Gus

I also have an N. sibuyanensis in similar conditions to yours and am experiencing similar problems.

I have too many highland plants in my highland chamber so the N. sibuyanensis had to be put somewhere until I build my larger sized true highlander tank.  Temps in my highland tank are 70-80*F days and 40-50*F nights year round. I will be moving the N. sibuyanensis into this environment when the bigger chamber is built as it seems to be languishing in the "intermediate" chamber.

After six months (I think I've only had mine about that long too-I got it in August 2003) it's pretty obvious to me that my N. sibuyanensis does not like it's current situation.

In haste - I think Pat is right - rather too hot, but I would wonder more about the humidity at 85-100% which is abnormally high water content in the air for that species at those reatively high temperatures.  Condensation will probably occur at times.  N. sibuyanensis pitchers latently, about 3 or 4 leaves down the vine usually but if the conditions are correct then you can eventually get lots of pitchers.  I'll be back in the highland nursery next week and was planning on graphing the temp and humidity in our new nursery which is producing great pitchers on plants that have given problems before.  I'll let you know the results.

I've just edited this post with an afterthought... light. N. sibuyanensis grows right out in the open at altitude. Whilst our plants in the 'old' highland nursery were not having problems with pitchers rotting away as you describe, we are getting more pitchers in the new nursery which has lower humidity and far more light.

Rob, the conditions are as said. The terrarium the N. sibuyanensis is grown in is pretty much sealed off (proper air circulation is provided through 2 CPU fans). I also think the temperature might be a bit too high, but the *true* highlanders which are grown in the same terrarium don't seem to mind and grow/pitcher at considerable rates.

I'll move the plant to another position in the terrarium. Maybe more intense light will help...another option would be to move it to my Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement...the average temperature there is around 50 to 60.

@swords: besides the lack of (healthy) pitchers, is your plant growing well? There are no signs of abnormal growth on my N. sibuyanensis...it's just the pitchers - actually the leaves are growing pretty fast...

I suppose it is "otherwise healthy", having no experience with N. sibuyanensis before or knowing any local plant people with one that I can compare it to. Mine is not in shade but pretty much right under 400W of metal halide lighting. But if all other conditions are good and it still doesn't pitcher than there can only be temperatures to blame if the plant is not suffering from a disease. Eventually, life in warm temps will weaken and kill a highland plant so I want to correct this asap (next paycheck the construction supplies will be bought). I'm pretty confident that my plant will grow much faster and pitcher freely once I can relocate it to the highland chamber.

BTW: What are those other highlanders that you grow in these temps? How big are the plants diameter wise?

All of my highlanders are still pretty small...

Nepenthes (diameter - cm / currently largest pitcher - cm)

singalana (13 / 5)
inermis (14 / 4)
hamata (10 / 4)
ephippiata (6 / 2)
macrophylla (16 / 6)
macfarlanei (10 / 5)

Sure, I could move at least some of them to my small Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement, but since all of them (except the N. sibuyanensis...) grow very well, I don't see a reason yet to do so..."never change a winning team"  
biggrin.gif

What highlanders do you grow?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nepenthes02 @ Jan. 22 2004,03:54)]Sure  
wink.gif
 Here we go:

Humidity: 85-100%
Day temperature: around 80 F
Night temperature: around 70 F
Potting media: peat moss, charcoal, perlite, shredded cork.

The conditions mentioned above are pretty stable though the average temperature can change quite a bit during the summertime.

My plants are grown under very bright lights though the N. sibuyanensis is located in a shadier position.
Toooooooo wet! Wet good, waterloged is um well rotten(yes I know it is corney).

Your plants are all in my collection plus others in my cool highland chamber. See:My Neps for my whole collection. These species are are true highlanders and will eventually weaken and die if they are not supplied with cooler temperatures than 70*F at night. On average my highland chamber is 50*F at night but from Dec til March it will be 40*Fs but all the highland plants grow well (better than in mid-late summer when the nights are about 5-10*F warmer at night). I think you will see a very nice increase in growth rates and larger sturdier pitchers if you allow them much cooler nights.

Here's another clue. I just spoke with the highland nursery mananager and she told me that the plants in the older (darker) nursery that weren't pitchering so well before are now pitchering much better. The difference is that the monsoon changed in December and we now many more hours of sunshine - hence light is certainly a factor for us here.

Hmmh, I just moved the N. sibuyanensis to my Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement. Let's see what'll happen...

The  day time temperatures there are around 65 F, the night time temperature usually drop as low as 45 F.

I have today moved a few things and found a way to fit my N. sibuyanensis into the highland chamber. Hopefully I will see something interesting from this plant soon.

Hi,

also I can't help much to solve Stefan's problem I got a nice photo from Christian Klein this week I might share:

N_sibuyanensis.jpg

In contrast to Rob's experience my plant grows better in not so bright levels similar to those N. rajah seems to like better. I discussed N. sibuyanensis with Christian some time ago and he mentioned that this species likes a dryer soil than most other Nepenthes.

Cheers Joachim

Man, that's a really nice shot! Clearly showing similarities with N. ventricosa!
smile.gif

Any idea as to how old/large that plant is which produced such a pitcher?

Ohmygaw...please tell me that's a fake one 
biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously...that's a truly amazing pitcher. The plant surely must be older than 10 years?!
Looks like Christian's intensive usage of Osmocote eventually leads to humongous pitchers...

Wonderful photo Joachim an Christian! If you know Joachim, how large of a pot that plant is in? Look as far as I can tell it's hanging? Thanks.
smile.gif

Back