What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with N. sibuyanensis

Hi,

I don't know how old the plant is, but I suspect N. sibuyanensis being in cultivation for 10 years being described by J. Nerz in 1998.

Christian added that the plant only pitchers during few months in winter so the lower temperatures might be the key.

Dustin, I'm sorry but I don't know how big the hanging pot is.

Cheers Joachim

Hello,
So far my N. sibuyanensis is loving its new enviroment since I got it about a month ago. The tip of 2 tendrils are stating to swell
smile.gif
Kevin

All I can say is ZOINKS!!!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
That's a great pitcher!

Capslock

oh wow. That looks great! I love this species. I just got one in a trade, but unfortunately i had to move it to cali right after i potted it
sad.gif
. I put it in the window with a plastic bag over it, and just a ball of soil, and the leaves got a bit crisp in spots. It deffinately doesnt like high light. Man, it has about the same diameter as the one pictured, but the stem is only a couple inches long. I think the tendril is almost as long as that one, so im hoping to have big pitchers pretty soon!

Doesn't like light? Sure it's an N. sibuyanensis then? lol This species for me seems to love the light! Unless of course you've just moved it from an indoor setup to an outside, way brighter environment, it will look crappy while it re-adjusts with the brighter light it is expierencing.

Hi all
first,thank you Joachim for posting my photo here in the forum.There came up some questions which I will try to answer .
As Joachim said my N.sib do only pitcher in winter (shortday ?).I cultivate my plants under real highland condition in my greenhouse in a 20 cm hanging basket .
They like dry conditions and a plenty of light so I place them high and very close to to glass.
Like Stephan mentioned ,I use osmocote fertilizer and the plant likes it very much.But Osmocote only makes sence, if all other growing conditions are at the optimum.
In the original description was mentioned ,that at the location the plants do produce the best pitchers in the shade of their own leafs. so I place the tendrils on top of the pots and really it works (I have some more goog photos of this plant ,but can not post them ).
The curious thing is that these plant produces only pitchers in winter and all young pitchers stay "parked"until the conditions are good and than they start growing .Sometimes 4 huge pitchers open in 10 days (like this year)
The shown plant is now is 5 years old .

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nepenthes02 @ Jan. 22 2004,2:35)]Dear all,

I've got some weird problems with my N. sibuyanensis: somehow its tendrils turn pitch black and rot away when the pitchers are about 5mm tall. I really don't why since the overall growth of the plant is everything but abnormal and it seems to be happy with the provided conditions.

Anybody had this problem before? The plant hasn't produced one dang pitcher since I got it about 6 months ago (besides those which rot away before their time has come)...

Thanks in advance!
Hi
I have noticed my N. sibuyanensis starting to do the same thing. The first new pitcher to open since last year has already gone black!
rock.gif

As I have always kept it near my N. rajah which is in a shadier part of my house I am going to gradually introduce it to loads more light & sun where my N. ventricosa are doing really well.
Its been mentioned that they like drier compost. I currently have used LFS mixed with Seramis. Could this be improved on?

cheers

bill

Hi all,
I've been visiting N.sibuyanensis in it's original habitat last year. It grows in 1-2 meter high shrubs on very steep slopes, with lots of wind and rain on a mountain ridge. This is probably one of the rainiest spots in the Philippines, but the wind might dry the plant off occasionally. At least for few minutes.
smile.gif
It grows under very high light levels, no trees around. The pitchers are quite hard to see, many of them can reach the ground due to their long tendrils and hide between twigs and other coarse humus. In that area it is pretty dark. The plants are relatively easy to find if there are flower stalks. Without it would be hard.
@Christian keyword 'shortday': Sibuyan island is relatively close to the equator, we experience in winter maybe 11 hour and in summer 13 hour days. But many growers (or German summer daylight...) like to provide 15 hours of artificial light, maybe this plant really doesn't like this.
@Rob: Didn't you mention (a long time ago
smile.gif
) you were growing Sibuyanensis also in the lowland (testing) and it was doing fine so far? Remembering this statement I've recently ordered one and hope it will work out for me (Philippines, lowland)...
wow.gif
 (no scared smiley available
smile.gif
) Btw, Manong Lee in Magdiwang still remembered you.

Greetings, Volker

Hi Volker! It's nice to see you on!

An update on my N. sibuyanensis is that it likes my highland conditions I've moved it to (70-80*F days / 50*F nights). It has made several new leaves and is inflating it's first pitcher (a small one).  Whew! Finally!

Hi Volker,

Sounds like you had a good trip to Sibuyan island. Did you find the N. argentii site?

N. sibuyanensis grows well here in 50% shade at 1700m altitude (nearly the same lattitude and altitude as Sibuyan).  I find that the tendrils tend to attempt to anchor the plant down in case of high winds (even in the nursery!) and therefore the pitchers often happen to form in dark places.  We do find though that the coloration is sometimes better if there is at least some direct light.  Here's an example of a pitcher that is not quite as big as Christian's but I like the coloration.  The pot in the background is 12" dia.

sib.jpg

We've tried growing it in lowland conditions but our lowland nurseries are quite extreme and eventually the plant produces poor pitchers.

BTW Christian, what's that spotting on the leaves of your plant with the magnificent pitcher?  Does it have the appearance of a brown bubbling underneath the leaves?  Do you have N. bicalcarata with the same problem by any chance?  If so, then it can be completely cured so that each new leaf stays green and immaculate even in very high light levels.

It's interesting that by coincidence Christian and I started using Osmacote independantly but at about the same time and we both ended up using the same formula of Osmacote.  Considering there are so many formulations available I think that's somewhat remarkable.  I keep trying other types of Osmacote as well as other fertilizers but always come back to the same one.

Hi Josh,
Yah, have been busy making carnivorous babies. Yes human baby . I'm not surprised that anything in your high tech chambers is growing and pitchering profusely...

Hi Rob,
We have been in Sibuyan for our new year celebration. Well, just so happened. And yes, this means December-January and quite an awful lot of rain. The wind felt like behind a jet engine, together with the rain more like being in a car washing center without car.
Given this wonderful conditions, were were not able to proceed (after reaching Mt. Mayo summit) or do a lot of exploration, we even stood one day less at the peak than planned. Well so we missed N. argentii. It's also hard to find I guess. Anyway I will return one peaceful day in (not this) May. It's just 16 hours by boat from here.
I saw also one or two Utricularia species. One is AFAIK Utricularia striatula which seems to be very common to many waterfalls of that island and there was another one that had a flower like U. sandersonii close to the summit of Mt. Mayo. Cannot find out what species that was.
Your Nep. sibuyanensis looks great!! My 'mountain location' is only 80 m, hehehe. I guess I can be happy if I see some small crippled pitchers...

Back