What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give it what you've got!!!

Cindy

Staff member
I was ignoring my N.gracilis this time of the year as it, being a lowland, is expected not to do well. It's been so windy that we're keeping our windows closed for fear of vases falling over! And it's cold at 75F!!! That's really cold at the tropics...  
tounge.gif

Anyway, the pitchers were getting smaller and smaller with colder, rainier days.  But out of boredom, I stuck a few broken chopsticks into the "pitcherless" hanging tendrils and voila!!!

gracilis_maroon_chopstick1_mod.jpg

The small pitcher I circled (or ovalled  
wink.gif
) measured 1.5 inches is followed by a leaf without pitcher. The next pitcher ,with the chopstick, measured 3.5 inches!  
laugh.gif
So like I said, give it what you've got! And me, it's CHOPSTICKS!  
wow.gif

Hmm...very interesting, Cindy. I'll have to try that sometime!

Plastic chopsticks, or wooden?
smile.gif

Weird...I guess the plant can support a larger pitcher when it's wrapped around something for grip. I'll have to give it a shot!

Plastic or wooden? Shouldn't matter although I used the disposable wooden ones which I broke into shorter pieces.

I knew climbing stems sometimes need something for the tendril to hold on to, in order for the pitchers to form. But I didn't have any frame for the plant to climb up and neither did I want it to hook onto the other neps. That's how I resorted to chopsticks although it's not that pleasant-looking...maybe I'll try using those mini firecrackers (containing chocolates for Chinese New Year) for the next time.
laugh.gif

Cindy: Daiso at IMM have a larger number of interesting supports specially made for creepers;
I normally support my tendrils by putting it on a nearby horizontal shelf, and significantly larger pitchers are produced.

Back