What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a bad sign?

My postman apparently did not see the "perishable" label in crisp clear lettering and left my nep on the front porch in 15 degree weather without knocking on the door.  I got to it about one-half hour after delivery.  The pot was cold, but only in spots when I unpacked it.  The plant has turned brown in spots and I need a professional opinion on how extensive the damage is.  The plant is a N. ventricosa.
http://members.aol.com/bouncer67/frostburn1
http://members.aol.com/bouncer67/frostburn2

Actually, that doesn't look too bad off at all! Though there may be a little damage, it doesn't look like enough to affect it seriously.

SF

I would cut the dead part of the growing tip off to reduce rot and possible death of the plant. It will take some time to resprout but will recover fairly quickly as it's an easy Nepenthes. Other than that it looks happy to me.

PS- what's under the plant in the first photo?
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

naughty naughty!
biggrin.gif

LOL, nice eye, Dustin! I have been married over 12 years, so I am desinsitized to that, apparantly.
I have trouble with growing points arrived like that, but ventricosa is one of the more accomondating plants. A half hour is pretty darn good. I came home once in 20 degree weather and found a pair of bicals on the doorstep after four hours. They made it, but they were black in a lot of parts. I have everything delivered to work now.

Regards,

Joe

I think it will be fine. they're pretty hardy. Dustin, LMAO.
laugh.gif

NG,
Uh...That would be my wife's Victoria's Secret catalog that I used to shim the tank.
cool.gif

My new N. Amp came a few days ago and looked alot worse then that...Almost all the leaves where frost burnt and now all of the leaves have wilted but the plants starting to look a little better with the high humidity and temps. Do you think the plant will make it? On every leaf about 3/4 of the leave is burnt but the other 1/4 looks ok, and hasn't changed much.
When I recieved it the whole pot and plant where a few degrees from freezing I would say, and the box said "Do Not Freeze"!
tounge.gif
It was hand delivered so I don't think that the plant got cold from sitting on the doorstep or anything...

Back