What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria, Tayeve New Guinea ("Giant" form) seedling rosette pitcher. This still obviously juvenile pitcher kinda looks like a hybrid with N. raff at this point, is already 4 cm. The mature pitchers on my plain green form of N. amp is only 7 cm! I'm excited to see just how big the pitchers of this one will get!
giantamp1.jpg

Here's an arial view of the New Guinea amp, looks as though the lighting of my conditions is making the leaves coppery.. nifty!
smile.gif

giantamp2.jpg

The N. merilliana seems to think along the same lines with the newer leaves being quite pretty!
merilliana2.jpg

Hopefully the pitchers will eventually follow suit. This is the first one my N. merilliana has made about 4 cm high.
merilliana1.jpg

The N. mirabilis var. Echinostoma still hasn't flared it's peristome very much but it's starting to colorup nicely. This pitcher is about 8 cm high.
echinostoma1.jpg

N. insignis  is still a rather plain looking species with this second pitcher about 7 cm high on a 12 cm plant.
insignis2.jpg

One odd thing with N. insignis is it's mouth and it's drooling habit of the peristome always being full of nectar. The peristome has some defined teeth even at this size but with all the nectar it's hard to make them out!
insignis3.jpg

In the highland tank the N. inermis is starting to vine nicely from it's epiphytic style hanging pot.
inermis5.jpg

Here you can see a more upper shaped pitcher with a very wide mouth! Unfortunately, it was too close to the lights and burned the tiny little lid!
inermis6.jpg

I know it's not a Nep but I just have to show a seedling of an Anthurium scandens that I germinated from my large A. scandens plant. My rationale for adding it here is that I have planted this Anthurium seed into my N. clipeata pot. I have NEVER been good at sowing seeds. Do you think there was some kind of benefitial fungus present in my Nep pots that may have aided germination? I must admit this is among the ONLY seed I've ever been able to germinate of anything. I'm just curious if anyone familiar with sowing seeds thinks that being planted in an established pot would be the key or just the fact that the berry was picked, dissected and the seeds sown all within a few minutes time?
ascandensseedling1.jpg

Thanks for looking!  
smile.gif

I have 2 of those things in my pot, the leaf part looks like grass-like structured leaf.
So thats what the "visitors" are!

I know what you speak of but these are not the sedge grasses that are common in sphagnum. Note the spear shaped head on these. I will uproot one to insepect it closer. I planted the seeds at the ends of the Nep leaves so that I could somewhat mark where they had been sown. I have 3 or 4 of these growing only in the N. clipeata pot. It may be a coincidence and indeed they are some sort of hitchikers but they do not resemble any hitchikers I've ever had in spahgnum. Time and more seed sowings will tell for sure!  
smile.gif

I think your method of sowing would be indicative of your results.
Id like to hear more about your previous attempts at sowing.

This was the first time I tried sowing the seed from the Anthurium. Any other seed I've ever sown was "fresh seed" which I received by mail of various plants (Arisaema, Dracunculus, Drosera, Drosophyllum, etc...) Most showed no life when planted as instructed into the recommended seed sowing soil. A few developed into weak seedlings that died in a day or two. Perhaps these will meet the same fate as I have only just noticed them the other day.

Nice you got a pic of your N. mirabilis var. Echinostoma up. Mine died...
(T_T)*cries*

All of that space above was for words, but I don't have any... I was looking at your website two days ago, and wondering about the inermis. All of a sudden there's a huge vine!
wow.gif
Also saw the rajah in the background of the inermis pics... Speechless... I always love and appreciate your pics, thanks for sharing!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

P.S. Speaking of the rajah getting huge, I would love to see some pics of your growchamber and a lot of your plants. I am interested in seeing growth rates since your last huge, two post long photo gallery several months back. THANKS ALWAYS FOR SHARING!

Very nice as usual Josh.
smile.gif
N. rajah looking good!
smile.gif
Just hwo big is that beast now?

Thanks! I'm glad the pics are OK!

The rajah's last leaf measured 26 cm after fully expanding and begining to drop the tendril. The last pitcher was 10 cm. Unfortunately the latest pitcher which was supposed to be biggest so far got knocked around a bit too much or something and opened prematurely! The wings had not yet expanded but the lid popped open. Once it started the whole thing opened... being only 5 cm after hardening off (but looking funny)!
sad.gif
That pitcher rested in the N. macrophylla pot, which I have to rotate to keep the newest developing N. macro leaves out of the shade of the rajah pot.

Incidentally Nep G., that was the rajah pitcher that was going into the test of free hanging rajah pitchers VS standing in a pot rajah pitchers. I dunno if you recall that conversation in a post some time ago but I was gonna see of there was a size discrepancy. Ah, well, there's always the next leaf!
smile.gif

Josh! Shame on you for jostling your pitchers around! lol, My N. rajah is coming too also after repotting it into a large 1 foot deep pot....we'll see what it does.

Some nice photo's
smile.gif

Josh, when you say knocked around too much, exactly how much is to much and how harsh? If I gently move some of the pitchers a few times to accomodate new leaves, would that effect the pitcher too much? Speaking of moving pitchers around, beware of tendrils betweed pots. My N. villosa recently stuck a tendril between two pots, and as it grew, it got cut off...
sad.gif

At least there are more where that came from!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

I don't know how much is too much. I've bumped pitchers before (or lifted developing ones to insepct them) without this happening so just an unlucky one I guess!

I've had more than enough of that sort of pitcher severing thing happening! I need about a 10 ft x 10 ft greenhouse for the plants to be properly spaced so I can access them with ease. Nothing worse than trying to carefully extract a plant from my little jungle for measuring and tidying up and as I'm lifting one plant up two pitchers of different plants have twined together and they rip each other off!
mad.gif

...the perils of an overgrown terrarium I guess!

I know how you feel, I have a good bit of space, but still let the plants rest tendrils in each other's pots. Unfortunately, that villosa went down a bit too low.
sad.gif
So as I look at my growchamber and think "I love Nepenthes", there's always that "But there in lies the rub" as Shakespere would say about the fact of occasional tendrils in the wrong spot, flourescents losing their intensity without anyone being able to tell (don't go there), etc. Part of the hobby, but fortunately with proper precautions, everything is nice and happy!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Back