What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes clipeata Cultivation Survey

One of the rarest of the tropical pitcher plants, Nepenthes clipeata is only found on vertical cliff faces of one mountain in Borneo. Due to a number of factors, the plant now has a low probability of surviving in the wild. While the protection of wild populations of plants is most desirable, this is a case in which ex situ conservation appears to be the approach most likely to be successful and realistic.

An unknown number of strains/clones of this species are in cultivation worldwide. The Nepenthes clipeata Survival Project (NcSP), under the auspices of The International Carnivorous Plant Society, is under development. As part of the developing conservation strategy, a survey has been developed to attempt to determine how many distinct lineages of N. clipeata are presently in cultivation. If you currently have this plant in cultivation, please submit your responses to the survey.

The questionnaire is located at: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/conservation/Nclipeata1.php. If you prefer to fill out a questionnaire and mail it (e-mail or snail mail), please let us know (clipeata@carnivorousplants.org). If you have contacts that are cultivating this plant that are not members of this discussion group, we would appreciate you informing them of the survey. We can send the questionnaire, upon request, either as an e-mail attachment (preferred) or on paper. For those reading Japanese, but not English, we can send a translation.

Thanks in advance!
-----------------------------------------------------
James Cokendolpher
Natural Science Research Lab.
Museum of Texas Tech University
clipeata@carnivorousplants.org or cokendolpher@aol.com

Barry A. Rice, Ph.D.
Director of Conservation Programs
International Carnivorous Plant Society
barry@carnivorousplants.org
http://www.carnivorousplants.org
------------------------------------------------------

Hi James,

I filled the form already last year, but did not get any response or confirmation. I don't know if I made an error or the underlying script was not working correct - but due to this fact I didn't recommend it to other growers owning wildcollected and therefore valuabe plants.

Cheers Joachim

I find the wording of some of the statements kind of questionable on that form... I also would not want to voulenteer so much information to anyone unless I felt it necessary. Maybe I'm simply paranoid?

Nope, no N. clipeatas 'round here!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ Feb. 01 2004,19:55)]I don't know if I made an error or the underlying script was not working correct - but due to this fact I didn't recommend it to other growers owning wildcollected and therefore valuabe plants.
Joachim,
Yes, your data presented earlier were received.  The website should have thanked you for the submission.  I assume you think acknowledgment from a person (rather than a computer) would be helpful in the future?  Please let your friends know about the survey.  If anyone else was wondering if their data were received, please PM or e-mail me directly and I will check the database.
James Cokendolpher

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 01 2004,22:59)]I find the wording of some of the statements kind of questionable on that form... I also would not want to voulenteer so much information to anyone unless I felt it necessary. Maybe I'm simply paranoid?

Nope, no N. clipeatas 'round here!
Well Josh, you better get some clipeata to raise; the more the better. They are interesting plants. Wistuba had three clones available last time I checked. Is anyone else selling TC plants of this species now? I am sorry that some of the wording triggered a questionable response on your part. Can you thinking of better wording? It will require some trust on the part of the person submitting the information, but if anyone is greatly concerned about releasing their address or name, we can discuss this in private e-mail and work out some arrangement mutually agreeable. Also note that the questionnaire is on the ICPS webserver, not an individual’s server.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepgrower @ Feb. 02 2004,06:34)]Joachim,
Yes, your data presented earlier were received. The website should have thanked you for the submission. I assume you think acknowledgment from a person (rather than a computer) would be helpful in the future?
Hi James,

thanks for your reply. Well I didn't get any feedback at all and of course I didn't expect a personal contact. Maybe your reply EMail was classified as spam and got deleted!?

Cheers Joachim

Back