What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Male or female?

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Hey all,

For breeding purposes of course, i'm trying to figure out what the sexes may be of some of the Nep hybrids. Things like, is N. xMiranda really a man? :p

Seriously though, anyone have a clue whether N. xGentle and N. xVelvet are male or female clones?

Yep. N. 'Miranda' is male, and he is potent. N. 'Velvet' and N. 'Gentle' may be the same clone as N. 'Cornbak'-they all look very much alike, but sometimes I think I see slight variations, but judging from pictures only. They may be three seperate clones pulled from the same seed pod. Anyway, N.'Cornbak', which looks like maxima x fusca, is also male.

Trent

Trent,

Ok, i'm getting tired of the confusion over that. :p Nothing towards you of course, but i'm sick of seeing the name corn.bak. I've even seen it written cornelius.bak. Honestly, it is the same clone as N. xVelvet.

Here's the link that will prove this:
http://www.bromelia.com/frame.html

This is a site for the nursery known as Corn.Bak, that produce one Nep, known as N. xVelvet.

Now, the question is, "Are N. xGentle and N. xVelvet the same plant?"

My Nepenthes X gentle is a male, maybe all the Gentle's are male since they are TC.

You may be right. The plants we are purchasing from the US division of a large Belgian nursery is sold as N. maxima 'Corn.Bak'. It could very well be the same plant as Velvet and Gentle, and the variations I see are cultural. If all three are the same, then it is male, because 'Corn.bak' blooms for us every fall.

Trent

Trent,

Say you wanted to make a hybrid with C Bak: Does that piss people off if the exact parentage is not known? I think Bruce Bednar made a hybrid with Savanah Rose, which is a unknown hybrid isn't it?
Anyway, Miranda and C. Bak are nice looking plants IMHO, so a hybrid with them might be cool with the right female plant.

Regards,

Joe

SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I'm under the definate impression that the plant labeled as N. xCorn.Bak also goes under the name Velvet. This impression is from the Dutch Company that distributes only one Nep, this nep is labeled N. 'Velvet'. The companies name is Corn.Bak BV.

Now, it would be really nice to assume that miranda and gentle are the same. It would really cut down the confusion if we went from four plants that look a like, to two plants that we know are different.

I just don't feel that Miranda and Velvet are the same clone since one's thriving for me and right next to it the other seems to have quite a bit of problems.

This just in:

Translated from a french site:
Nepenthes X mixta

Hybrid of low altitude (N northiana X N maximum). Very often sold under the name of Nepenthes ' Miranda ', name which does not have any botanical value. Perhaps very slightly more demanding than the precedents as for its conditions of culture, there remains relatively easy to obtain a very beautiful plant with some efforts.
Its ballot boxes in general large and deep, with dominant green more or less are stained Bordeaux wine. One finds sometimes certain plants very coloured, the green becomes the minority color then. The broad green peristome with the opening of the trap becomes in a few sharp red days.[/quote]

http://infoscarnivores.free.fr/nepenthes.htm

Hi Everyone!
Joe, it is a good idea to know a plant's parentage, but to register a cultivar it is not required. N. 'Savana Rose' is actually a red pitchered form of the hybrid N. emmarene (khasiana x ventricosa). We have a beautiful cultivar (a selected clone from amongst the many siblings) from Clyde B. of N. Rokko x 'Savana Rose' that Michelle just took cuttings on. C. Bak and 'Miranda' will no doubt make excellent fathers in the future as well.
Owen brings up some good and often confused points. N. Corn.bak, Velvet, Gentle, if not all the same clone, come from the same seed pod. N. 'Miranda' is a distinctly different hybrid, belonging to the Mixta Group. It is not pure Mixta, which is (maxima x northiana). Mixta 'Superba' is male.(By the way, female clones of true N. Mixta are extremely rare. There was once a clone called N. Mixta 'Sanguinea', a real beauty, that was female, but I have not been able to locate it-anyone have it or know of it???) In order to derive any seed to put into tc it must be crossed onto a female. A female maxima was used to do this. The cross of N. maxima x N. Mixta has been done before in Japan as N. Oiso. N. Oiso looks just like N. Miranda, to further verify the likely parantage or N. 'Miranda'. N. 'Miranda' is not a registered cultivar, as no description has ever been published, even though it meets all the criteria of a cultivar otherwise-ie. it is a single clone of unique character (even though it looks a lot like N. Oiso and N. Mixta).
The color variations described by the French site are purely cultural differences. Our 'Miranda' s consistently produce huge Mixta-like traps that give off a wonderful sweet aroma on hot, sunny days.
smile.gif

Trent

A small sliver of light, in the clouds of confusion:

Hey Guys,

I received this e-mail from the people over at Corn.Bak BV:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dear mr. Owen,

I am sorry to tell you that this information is confidential. But I can asure you that Nepenthes 'Velvet' and Nepenthes 'Gentle' are not the same plant. We know this for sure, since we made both hybrids.

Best regards,

Corn. Bak B.V.
Nico Steur

Very interesting. A response from Corn.Bak. Again, I suspected the two were different clones. The statement "We made both hybrids" could be taken as: 1. they are two different crosses, or 2. as possibly two siblings from the same cross.

Trent

Back