What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How come my Neps not pitchering

Hi all Cpers,
I seem to have a problem with neps which do not pitcher. The pitcher plant produces long thin leaves, well the leaves look healthy enough to make the assumption that the plant is healthy, however after the leaves start to send out tendrils the tendrils suddenly become stunted and do not grow after the leaf has reached a certain size (or length). The tendrils eventually turn brown and then dry up, or wilt, then another leaf is produced, with the same problem. What is happening? My plant has already produced twenty pitcherless leaves, which is turning my garden into a jungle. Has anyone experienced this dilemma? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The plants have been standing in water however they seem to be lacking food, and are not exposed to much light. In that case, should I move the plants to my terrerium? I don't really have to worry about humidity as I live in singapore where the humidity level is about 80% - 90%. Humid enough?

Did I write too much?

Thanks,
Jason

No enough information for meaningful suggestion.
What nepenthes are you growing, what are the cultivation conditions – soil mix, lighting, watering method and humidity (under direct sun the humidity can be much lower, even in Singapore)

Did you change the potting mixture or check it? I bought a pot of Nep. rafflesiana and after checking the potting mix, I was horrified to find chicken manure wrapped around the roots!
sad.gif

Don't let the roots sit in water, they should be well drained or they will rot.

Depending on the type of nep you're growing, lighting may be an issue.
I bought a tobaica last year which flourished in a 4 tube terrarium. A few months later, my wife and I moved in with my mother-in-law. To save energy and space, the terrarium was disassembled and the nep went under a 2 tube lighting fixture with other CPs. The tobaica stopped growing pitchers and growth slowed. Last week, I had to set up the 4 tube terrarium again for new some new CPs and at the advice of others here at Terraforums, I placed the tobaica inside. It now has 6 pitchers growing. While this was all happening, my ventricosa just kept growing.

biggrin.gif

What species is it out of curiosity?

A few possible factors could be:

Insufficent humidity
Poor air circulation
If they are upper pitchers they may be aborting as nothing is there to grab onto.

Back