What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think my nep is dying

When my N. ventricosa arrived, it was damaged by frost. I trimmed off the dead leaves and the damaged growth tip. It has been over two weeks now and I have noticed absolutely ZERO growth on the plant. In fact, two of the surviving leaves are getting more and more brown every day. One of the remaining pitchers is also fading fast. Since this is my first nep, I don't know what to expect when it comes to resiliency. Should I just start over and hope that the postman keeps this one a little warmer? When do I know to "call it quits" on a nep?
sad.gif

I would place the Nepenths in a constant temperature area with high humidity. I wouldn't give up on Nepenthes, they are tough plants.

I had a N. Ventrata that I though was a goner. But after placing it in a container with a constant temperature and humidity. The nepenthes is growing profusely.

My nep is in a 20 gallon terrarium. I have it under 14 hours of 5000K light. I also have a Tropic Aire humidity pump and a glass top for the terrarium. It gets quite moist in there. I guess I'll have to be a bit more patient.

Thanks Eplants!

You want to see death, you should take a dandy trip over here and take a look at my collection.......

The growth point has been cut off. I had a nep... same kind I think that I accidently dropped the cover of my terrarium on. It wasn't a huge blow to the plant but the growth point was lopped off.

Anyway, it showed no signs of growth for a long time, a few weeks or so (probably due to the low humidity and frequent temp and light fluctuations my plant experienced). Then one day I checked on the plant and there was this little start of a new leaf popping up off to the side of where the old growth point was. The plant ended up dieing later but I know it was because of my substandard growing conditions at the time.

The conditions your nep is in seem fine so don't lose hope! I'm sure your ventricosa will be fine.
smile.gif

O it doesn't looks so bad. Most important is to watch that it doesn't get any rot in the center where the growth point got damaged. It will send out a lateral shoot but it will take a while... it can take several months or more before the plant is back up to growing full speed again and making new pitchers.
Tony

Hi all:

Ventricosa is amongst the toughest neps around. I don't know why you are worried bouncer67, most of the leaves look fine. It may take several months before you plant completely recovers, so don't lose hope yet. if it starts getting more brown leaves, especially the new ones, then it is a bad sign. If the new leaves look healthy, your plant has finally recovered. by the way, it may take up to two months for a new leaf to show up. Please be patient.

Gus

That's nothing when compared to the N. Amp that I got! It's been two weeks now and the tip of my amp is starting to open alittle.

Back